April 26, 2024, 03:28:55 AM

Author Topic: Gluing around hole for flange bearing for tail box  (Read 1789 times)

Offline AliHumphrey

Gluing around hole for flange bearing for tail box
« on: April 23, 2013, 11:55:25 AM »
In the tips section Matt says to glue around the hole and let the glue wick into the layers around the carbon. Is this really necessary? The flange bearing fit in my tail box is a nice fit but I can push it in and out with my thumb.

Cheers,

Ali

flyalan

Re: Gluing around hole for flange bearing for tail box
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 12:14:03 PM »
If it is already good and snug then you should be okay but it does help keep things tight and down the road it may help with wear.  I personally would do it anyway and I have done it.

Cheers
Alan

Offline AliHumphrey

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 03:17:24 AM »
Do you just literally put a small amount of glue around the hole and then leave it for a while? Then after the glue has dried push the flange bearing back in? Did you have to use a press to put them in like Matt says?

Ali

flyalan

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 06:17:47 AM »
Yes.  Let it dry.  Not sure how tight yours actually is.  Does it take significant effort to push it out with your thumb?
If so you may want to forgo the glue.  It may become too difficult to press back in.  Even more so if you do not have an arbor press available.  Mine have all required CA to fit snugly if memory serves me. 

cheers
alan

Offline AliHumphrey

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 06:36:12 AM »
Hi, they require a fair amount of effort to push them out with my thumb. But I'm not sure what is considered to be acceptable tightness. I do not have a arbor press.

flyalan

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 08:04:12 AM »
I think you will be fine without the CA in this case since adding CA will tighten them up even more. Doing so would likely require the use of a press to get the bearings in.

Cheers
Alan

Offline AliHumphrey

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 11:07:41 AM »
Do the bearings for the bell crank have to be as tight as the ones for the the tail box? As Matt only mentions using glue for a tighter fit for the tail box ones.

Cheers,

Ali

flyalan

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 11:40:05 AM »
All the bearings should be tight fitting.  If the ones at the bellcrank are looser than you have described in the tail then I would use some CA.

Alan

Offline AliHumphrey

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 04:10:08 AM »
The bearings for the bell crank are a very loose fit so I will be using some CA on those. Hope I don't make a mess of it and make the fitting too tight.