April 25, 2024, 12:33:12 AM

Author Topic: Things to check if you have a high frequency tail vibration?  (Read 3855 times)

Offline Matt Botos

• Synergy Hero
    • Matt Botos
Things to check if you have a high frequency tail vibration?
« on: September 06, 2011, 11:26:51 PM »
If you’ve had a crash or touched the tail on the ground, check your tail hub and tail output shaft to see if they are bent.
Make sure your bearings are tight in the vertical fin and opposing tail plate, use CA to secure them.
Do not over tighten the rear boom clamps. These clamps are very strong and the gap does not need to be closed.
Tail output shaft should not have excessive play within the flange bearings. If you think there is too much play then I would recommend green or red loctite to secure the shaft within the bearings. Make sure you take the tension off the belt before securing the shaft into the bearings.

Tail Blades – I can’t stress using quality tail blades enough. The N5 has a 4.66:1 ratio which means at 2150 on the head, the tail is spinning 10,000 RPM. If your tail blades are slightly out of balance or the CG is off, it will show up as a vibration in the tail.

Through experimentation, I have found that slightly longer boom supports can make the tail rotor a bit less susceptible to high frequency tail vibrations. We will include these in future kits.

Engine vibration can transmit high frequency vibrations to the tail. If you’ve had a crash, make sure you dial indicate your crank shaft to make sure it is still straight.

Most importantly if you hear a high frequency buzzing coming from the tail at higher RPM’s do not fly the helicopter! Land and figure out the cause. This type of vibration will lead to other part failures.