April 20, 2024, 04:05:03 AM

Author Topic: My first Synergy... the N7 build!  (Read 21615 times)

Offline Mike Spano

• Synergy Hero
Re: My first Synergy... the N7 build!
« Reply #90 on: April 15, 2015, 08:45:03 AM »
very nice! sorry about your mostro though....  i think you will find that new seat will do the trick, it fixed mine right up!

just take your time and clean everything very well. its very easy to get a small piece of debris in the carb when that seat is being removed, or is already out. i usually lay my heli with the carb down towards the table while the seat is out to prevent anything from getting in it. like dust floating around, or some dirt coming off your arm or hand as your working over the top of it.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 08:46:38 AM by Gasser Mike »
Team Synergy
Rail Blades
TRM Power
Team Byron Fuels
MKS Servos

Offline rcnut

« Reply #91 on: April 15, 2015, 10:03:46 AM »
...sorry about your mostro though.... 
Yea...its fixed and works, thank God! Like I said, it was my fault. I used the data pod to adjust the feel of the heli after the 4th flight. I plugged the data pod port in with the second power wire when I was finished.

When I was ready to turn the controller on for flight number 5, the power wires were dead shorted! It melted the positive pins on the Spartan Vortex controller, and it was going to town on the power wires I made for the controller. Without thinking, I reached in and yanked the power wires off in order to stop the short from destroying the LiPo up front and burning my new heli and back of my truck (which had 5-1/2 cases of fresh fuel!)

LiPo sitting up front with a long 12 gauge extention running to the back with a "Deans" to 2 "spektrum" connectors.

Considering I messed up the controller and it would cost me to send it in and have fixed...I repaired it myself. Having a degree in Electronics, I have a selection of header pins. So I opened the controller and inspected the damage. Then I cleaned the remains of the solder on the back side of the header board (the small rectangular circuit board holding all the servo pins). I used two header pins from my surplus and soldered them in. I checked the circuit trace to verify continuity, and then applied power. It works, and now ready for more flying fun.

As for the N7 carb issue, I'll try the non-pumped carb first, see if that works. If not, I'll go back to the regulated carb with the new needle seat and start over. I wish I never bought the motor!
I love the smell of Nitro in the morning!

Offline mc20piece

« Reply #92 on: April 18, 2015, 01:46:06 AM »
Guys is there a way to check for a bad needle seat on the 105 aside from experiencing tuning issues? Where can I get the replacement seat from if mine is bad?

Offline rcnut

« Reply #93 on: April 18, 2015, 07:00:30 AM »
The needle seat issue is only with the 105 pumped motor. To find out if yours has the wrong seat, you would need to measure the opening. Or call Hobbico for a free replacement.

Offline Rodney Kirstine

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
« Reply #94 on: April 18, 2015, 07:04:22 AM »
Guys is there a way to check for a bad needle seat on the 105 aside from experiencing tuning issues? Where can I get the replacement seat from if mine is bad?

If a 1.5mm Allen wrench will fit through the orifice, it's not the one you want.
Rodney

Team Synergy

Offline mc20piece

« Reply #95 on: April 18, 2015, 07:41:27 AM »
I just bought the engine new a couple weeks ago and havnt run it yet. Do i just pull it apart and check or just roll with it?

Offline rcnut

« Reply #96 on: April 19, 2015, 08:28:53 AM »
Newer models should have been fixed. It's the older models that had the problems. I would go with it. Break it in as normal. Once you get to the break-in point, it should run fine. If you have problems tuning it, then look into the seat issue.

Offline mc20piece

« Reply #97 on: April 19, 2015, 10:32:32 AM »
Ok thanks

Offline rcnut

« Reply #98 on: April 20, 2015, 01:40:56 PM »
Success! ;D  8) ;D             8) ;D 8)       Success!!!      ;D 8) ;D            ;D    8)  8)    ;D 
As you will recall...I was having carb issues with the O.S.105HZ-R, the pumped motor. Well I removed the carb and use a spare O.S.91HZ carb to see if it would work. If the 105 needed more fuel, this wasn't a problem as I can open the needle valves a lot more versus closing them. As it turned out, the carb worked just fine! I had to open the idle needle a lot! But it idles very nicely now. The mid is close to 1 turn out (about 1-1/8 to 1-1/4), and the high is now 1-5/8 turns out. The motor is on the warm side, about 7 seconds before needing to remove your finger! So I'll leave it there for a while, I'll let the motor get used to this setting.

As for the N7, it is now one rockin heli! I only got two flights on it due to the rain…and ran out of fuel both times! I was having so much fun, I forgot to pay attention. ::) I think I need a bigger tank... I made some more adjustments to the controller, but didn't get the chance to test it out. Now I need to tune my Rave like I have the N7...and then maybe the Mostro, I'm still not sure about this heli flight wise.

Offline rcnut

« Reply #99 on: May 03, 2015, 08:19:18 AM »
Mark and I made it out yesterday (Saturday) for some heli flying fun! I put in 9 flights on my N7 and it is fly great! I'm still having slight carb issues, getting the needles set right. I think I'm going to need a header tank as when I get close to the end of the tank, it goes lean. Also, I will need to find a better way to empty the tank in flight. The fuel magnet won't suck the last 1/8 of the tank. Weird??? :o Out side of that, this heli continues to impress me!

Offline Mike Spano

• Synergy Hero
« Reply #100 on: May 04, 2015, 09:01:15 AM »
IMO - http://www.lynxheli.com/product_info.php?products_id=22079 - that is the best clunk there is for our nitro birds.

Glad to hear you are enjoying the heli Ray! That Spartan is nice too huh?!

Team Synergy
Rail Blades
TRM Power
Team Byron Fuels
MKS Servos

Offline rcnut

« Reply #101 on: May 05, 2015, 09:28:23 AM »
Oh yea!I'm liking it a lot!!! ;D Wish we lived closer, I'd let you try mine!

I don't know if I told you...I totaled out my Rave. I was flying around inverted backwards and the muffler broke off and went through the blades. Just the replacement parts alone is $250-300 away from a new kit. The electronics and motor survived. The sad part, it was a free fall from 50 feet. I hit throttle hold once parts started rain off my Heli. Then I hit throttle kill seconds before it hit the ground.

It looked like the space shuttle that broke up on re-entry! I've never had this happen to me before. A buddy in Chicago had his airframe up for sale. I struck a deal and picked it up Friday after work. By Sunday the new Rave airframe was ready for a test flight. However, there are many flights on this Helli and I need to address a common problem with this Helli. The tail output shaft bearings. They are pressed into the carbon fiber side plates with a little glue. However, the nitro fuel errodes the glue in time causing the output shaft to wobble slightly. The tell tail sign is extensive foaming of the tank.

Its not the hard to fix really. I pull the side plates off, remove the bearings (flange bearings), clean everything well, and then JB weld the bearings back in. I can get hundreds of flights with this fix, unless I smack the Helli into the ground! LoL!

Offline Mike Spano

• Synergy Hero
« Reply #102 on: May 05, 2015, 11:52:33 AM »
yea,  you told me that, that really sucks....lol...i had an RX pack come apart on me (literally, the cells came out of the heat shrink) and go through my blades one day. not that bad of a crash though surprisingly. glad you are getting it all worked out.

i like my spartan on my E5 too, feels amazing. very locked in, and doesnt have that "disconnected or delayed" feel of the vbar.
Team Synergy
Rail Blades
TRM Power
Team Byron Fuels
MKS Servos

Offline rcnut

« Reply #103 on: May 26, 2015, 05:44:27 AM »
Saturday… Mark and meet at out practice field. Bill and John were there warming up with a flight each. Mark replaced the main gear on his Raptor G4 with a CNC gear designed for the O.S.105. It put the 105 in its proper power band. Then he bought a set of the Zeal performance blades to try out!

First flight, Mark's G4 sounded ok, as I was setting up my N7. So I walked out to ask what he thought of his heli with the new blades and gear…he just handed me the radio and said try it, ok. The head speed was lower than before, the tail was sluggish (oh yea, he replaced the tail blades with longer 112mm blades, so it should have been very touchy) due to having 27% expo in the radio, and the motor was on the rich side.

So I adjusted the motor, made changes to the radio, and then tested it. I was low on fuel and wasn't able to run it through much. Mark said land and let's put more fuel in it! So we did. Second flight was a lot better, but the gyro was too high, the dreaded oscillations. More tuning of the radio and now it's a lot better. One more carb adjustment and a change to the throttle curve…WOW! The 105 came to life and it was ready to "jam!"

I gave that G4 just about everything I could think of and it was taking it with gusto! I pulled some fast "wall" maneuvers that scared the crap out of Mark! He was waiting for the blade to fold, break! But they didn't, they held up fine. Then it was auto time! I wanted to see how well these blades would auto on the G4. They are great, super slow autos to rock'n fast!

After that flight, I handed Mark his radio and said have fun! He was too excited to fly and needed to calm down. His head was swimming with what his heli was doing and the speed of which it was moving. That's fine, time for me to burn some fuel!

I pulled out my Synergy N7 to use to finish off the last of the the 20% fuel (Mark and I bought many cases of 15% during the Toledo show). The third flight was a mixture of 80/20, 80% of the tank with 20% fuel and 20% of 15% fuel. The N7 was running great, and I was a bit concerned switching to the lower nitro content as I would need to readjust the carb. But the forth tank, and the others that followed, I didn't need to change a thing!

As a result, my O.S.105 ran "better" on the 15% versus the 20% nitro content! Go figure that. I started "hammering" on my N7 as I did on Mark's G4. I couldn't get enough of it! ;D It was dialed in perfectly! Well, Mark and I spent flight after flight having a blast, and wishing the day wouldn't end. We never got the chance to fly our Goblin gassers, as we both brought them to fly.

As for my Mostro nitro heli…I think I will put it up for sale. It's a great flying heli, but it doesn't fit my flying style/feel. Every now and then you find that one heli or airplane that you really like and the Mostro just isn't it. So I'll sell it...and possibly buy another N7! 8)

I pulled my Compass 3D+ out of moth-balls this weekend. I forgot just how much this little heli can jam! The only problem with it, its no longer in production. :-\ So I'm thinking about upgrading it to the N5tt... I'm waiting for Bill to finish his N5tt...he wants me to test fly it for him!!! If I like it, the 3D+ is history! LoL!

Offline rcnut

« Reply #104 on: June 03, 2015, 09:03:14 AM »
Bill's Synergy N5tt...

I had spent a good portion of Saturday finishing his Synergy N5tt. Mark and I flew Sunday and Bill was nowhere to be found. Bill's excuse was babysitting the grandkids...yea right! Granted he probably was, but missed out on a good day to fly! And I to test fly his N5. So we gave him the "business!" He took it very well, and then informed us he left the N5 at home?!!! We made him go get it! He had his son bring it out.

I looked it over one more time, checked the carb needles, checked the controls, and then powered up his heli. Now to maiden this new heli! The motor was acting goofy, erratic rpm hunting, or rich / lean, rich / lean...repeat! This is weird, never had a motor do that before, plus the tail was sluggish. Ok, open the needles some more, make an adjustment to the gyro gain setting in the radio, and add a bit more expo to the elevator and aileron.

Ok, now its acting better, however, the head speed seemed a bit high? After messing with it here and there, it was time to fly this super light heli around the field! Wow, this little heli is awesome! It flies as if it’s on rails, the controls are rock solid, has plenty of power even rich, and it wants to go! I felt very comfortable with this heli, even though I have it setup somewhat tame for Bill and the fact of breaking in a new motor.

The second flight surprised us, the tail stopped working on lift off. Come to find out the grub screw in the tail hub departed! Ok, I had some spare grub screws, and had to harass Bill for some "shotty" building skills! I fixed the tail and its time to go back up! But flight number two started in with the motor acting up again. This time it went lean and now I have to find out why and fix it!

Long story short, it was the fuel clunk getting stuck in the corner of the tank. I explained to Bill, and his son, how to fix the clunk (filing a slot at the end of the clunk so fuel will flow in without suffocating the motor...running lean), and in the meantime, I shortened the clunk line, even though the line will stretch in time. Flights 3 & 4 were much better, a smoother running (consistent) motor and lower head speed. We were marveling at how well it was tracking as I flew forward and backwards…and a little inverted forward.

I was curious to who this heli would feel...now I know and I want one too!  ;D