April 25, 2024, 08:44:06 AM

Author Topic: N5c TT, YS 60sr, Rail 626mm, CGY750 - Chatter  (Read 8990 times)

Offline Barry Tilson

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Veteran
  • Perspective Visuals
N5c TT, YS 60sr, Rail 626mm, CGY750 - Chatter
« on: April 29, 2015, 06:52:02 PM »
I'm on my 9th flight flight with this new Heli and wanted to talk about some items.
I have been tuning the engine and have found a nice sweet spot.
The mid range need seems to be easy to adjust. I found that the high needle in idle up at two turns seems to cause a run ability issue where the head speed sags and the smoke reduces.  Landing and starting from normal mode seems to bring it back around. I thought it was to lean on the high needle. So I richened it and didn't help. So checking the manual I went just south of two turns. This seem to help it preform better.
So can you run a nitro to rich?

Does anyone have a recommended head speed for Idle up 1&2?

Perspective Visuals

flyalan

N5c TT, YS 60sr, Rail 626mm, CGY750 - Chatter
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 10:46:51 PM »
You first need to set your high speed needle. Playing with the mid range without the proper high speed needle setting will only lead you awry.
So you need to be on the high needle long enough to determine if it is set correctly. Do some hard big loops. Land and immediately feel the engine backplate. If you can hold your finger in place comfortably much longer than a five count or so you are too rich. Keep leaning a couple clicks at a time. Once satisfied adjust the mid range for reliable  throttle transitions.
I run mine at 2050 in idle 1 and 2150 on idle 2.
Cheers
Alan
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 10:51:51 PM by Alan »

Offline Barry Tilson

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Veteran
  • Perspective Visuals
Re: N5c TT, YS 60sr, Rail 626mm, CGY750 - Chatter
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 05:04:12 AM »

You first need to set your high speed needle. Playing with the mid range without the proper high speed needle setting will only lead you awry.
So you need to be on the high needle long enough to determine if it is set correctly. Do some hard big loops. Land and immediately feel the engine backplate. If you can hold your finger in place comfortably much longer than a five count or so you are too rich. Keep leaning a couple clicks at a time. Once satisfied adjust the mid range for reliable  throttle transitions.
I run mine at 2050 in idle 1 and 2150 on idle 2.
Cheers
Alan
Ok, yes I had the whole thing way to rich. The back plate was just warm at first. I re-watched the Nitro Smacktalk video and understand what your saying with regard to the loops. I will give this a try and see how the back plate feels.

I also have a head bobble at idle up 1 that may need some tuning. I have all the gains the same on the CGY 750, so will have to lower it for the 1900 range. No bobble at 2200.

Idle up 1 at 1900 feels ok, idle up 2 at 2200 is very perky. No bogging what so ever. However the fuel economy at idle up 2 is just shy of 6 min. So I must be still a little rich and maybe drop the head speed 100 rpm to 2100? I'm guessing 7 minutes, maybe not with the 626's and 60sr?

Is there any way to get a smooth transition out of throttle hold? Like a ramp up, it seems to bog a bit and kick the tail hard. (14sg radio)

Honestly it feels like a very light E7. Very floaty and fast. The strong winds were blowing it a yesterday.

The pirouette rate is insane! May have to turn it down also, it's fun however I could see it getting away from me.

Overall a very fun experience. I must be getting comfortable as normally my hands would be a little shaky after flying a new heli like this. I like the current feel of the CGY 750 and didn't even flinch about not having the bail out that I'm used to with the BD3sx. This must mean I can switch over to big boy undies! Can't wait until I tell my mom!
Perspective Visuals

Offline Rodney Kirstine

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 09:22:59 AM »
Is there any way to get a smooth transition out of throttle hold? Like a ramp up, it seems to bog a bit and kick the tail hard. (14sg radio)

You want to set your normal mode to have a linear throttle curve from 0-100 and spool up using it.  Once you get to about mid-stick, or are hovering, then you can switch into idle up.  Nitro governors don't have a "soft start" like ESCs do.
Rodney

Team Synergy

Offline John Jackson

• Field Representative
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 03:17:25 PM »
Once you find that the engine tune is right the head bobble may go away. Like Alan said be sure you are on the high curcuit for a sustained about of time, even fast forward flight will do the trick.  If you really get mixed up start back at factory break in and retune. Thats a safe way to ensure your not too lean. Ys engines do seem to like a more rich tune to.

Offline Barry Tilson

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Veteran
  • Perspective Visuals
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 05:06:58 PM »
Sipping on the Cool Power! She is running nice now. 2100 on the head coming down with 7-9 seconds for the fingers to get hot. 4 sport flights at 7.5 min. What a great bird!
Perspective Visuals

Offline Barry Tilson

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Veteran
  • Perspective Visuals
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2015, 06:22:34 PM »
So what do we think he head speed should be?  YS says 18000 rpm is optimal with a 20T:170T ratio the HS calc says 2118? I was at 2200 idle up 2. 1900 idle up 1. I am getting some light bogging during flips. I did bog it once to the point of almost stalling with a big loop into a flip. Must have over done it the collective. It did recover very quickly so I'm guessing it's still plenty rich. Now I get to tune my collective skills.
Perspective Visuals

Offline Darren Lee

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Veteran
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2015, 07:11:12 PM »
I'm running the 55HZ-R but my headspeeds are 1950 and 2150.  Idle 1 for relaxing smooth flight and piroflip practice, idle 2 for fast flight and smack.
Team Synergy / Rail Blades / Morgan Fuel

Offline Barry Tilson

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Veteran
  • Perspective Visuals
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2015, 08:03:09 PM »

I'm running the 55HZ-R but my headspeeds are 1950 and 2150.  Idle 1 for relaxing smooth flight and piroflip practice, idle 2 for fast flight and smack.
So I'm in the range. I will play around with some different settings to see how I handles.
Perspective Visuals

Offline Barry Tilson

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Veteran
  • Perspective Visuals
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2015, 08:03:33 PM »
Little hotter today and so is the base plate. So I need to Richen as the ambient temp goes up to keep with the 5 second rule? This thing is a blast to fly!
Perspective Visuals

Offline John Jackson

• Field Representative
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2015, 09:20:46 PM »
I know this is counter intuitive,but the general idea is to lean it when the weather gets warmer. You should notice that the engine is running like it's too rich and lacking the same power. One way to think think about this is colder air is more dense i.e. more oxygen and warmer air is thinner with less oxygen. keep in mind there is a point where you can tune too lean, but a couple clicks should do it without much harm.  Glad you're loving the nitro!

Offline Barry Tilson

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Veteran
  • Perspective Visuals
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2015, 09:37:15 PM »

I know this is counter intuitive,but the general idea is to lean it when the weather gets warmer. You should notice that the engine is running like it's too rich and lacking the same power. One way to think think about this is colder air is more dense i.e. more oxygen and warmer air is thinner with less oxygen. keep in mind there is a point where you can tune too lean, but a couple clicks should do it without much harm.  Glad you're loving the nitro!

Thanks John!
Yeah I understand the concept with fuel mixture. More concerned about the temperature. Seems like you can easily hurt this Ys motor, just trying to understand what the limitations are.

Looks like your from Michigan? I'm over in grand ledge.

Thanks,
Barry
Perspective Visuals

Offline John Jackson

• Field Representative
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2015, 09:12:07 PM »
yes sir!  are you coming to the mid-America fun fly? if not we can meet up and do some flying somewhere. I know a few spots between us....i'm in the Detroit area.

Offline Barry Tilson

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Veteran
  • Perspective Visuals
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2015, 08:09:04 PM »

yes sir!  are you coming to the mid-America fun fly? if not we can meet up and do some flying somewhere. I know a few spots between us....i'm in the Detroit area.
I might come out on Friday, however can't make it Saturday.
Perspective Visuals

Offline Barry Tilson

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Veteran
  • Perspective Visuals
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2015, 08:16:50 PM »
Wow it's crazy how much the tune can change day to day. I leaned it a bit more today and noticed the tanks was trying to foam from the vibrations. Not sure if it was the tune or I had another issue. I richened it back up and it seemed to smooth out and have less foaming. It was a cool day and it was hard to get the back plate hot in the little area I was flying in.

21 flights no crashes, almost hit a tree today.

I think the other four Synergy's are jealous.
I always get real busy with work this time a year and it's great just to grab a charged flight pack, nitro and get a few flights in. 
Perspective Visuals