March 28, 2024, 04:10:44 PM

Author Topic: Vertical Main Shaft Play  (Read 1970 times)

Offline enz5573

Vertical Main Shaft Play
« on: September 03, 2015, 06:56:34 AM »
Hi All..
When i first built the Machine put in the recommend shim 109-110 and had no play at all!
Now got in a couple flight in and now it has very little vertical play!
is this normal?
Thanks,Vincent

Offline Mike Spano

• Synergy Hero
Re: Vertical Main Shaft Play
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 07:54:40 AM »
yes it is normal. if you want, you can take up the vertical play with the pinch collar. loosen, pick up on main shaft, push down on collar slightly, and tighten back up. but it is not necessary. the bearings are where you are getting the play, as they break in.
Team Synergy
Rail Blades
TRM Power
Team Byron Fuels
MKS Servos

Offline enz5573

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 08:11:00 AM »
Yeah i have done that and after 1 flight its there again.
as long as it is normal,i am ok with that!
Thanks,Vincent

Offline Danny Dugger

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Veteran
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 11:41:34 AM »
Personally I like to take all play out using shims between the Jesus bolt collar (near autorotation gear) and bearing. It stays slop free and never needs re-adjustment. Careful not to get it too tight, shimming should be done incrementally so the auto hub doesn't bind from friction.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 11:49:04 AM by Danny Dugger »

Offline Mike Spano

• Synergy Hero
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 02:17:47 PM »
something is not normal if it loosens up every flight.

are you by chance using a stainless steel bolt? they can stretch. use a regular SHCS for this application, and it shouldn't slip at all if it is tightened properly. honestly, I never have to adjust mine after I build it, and they do not develop any play. be sure that bolt is in good shape, and be sure that it is tight enough also.
Team Synergy
Rail Blades
TRM Power
Team Byron Fuels
MKS Servos

Offline Ben Kerr

• Field Representative
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 02:53:52 PM »
The top collar is only designed to keep the top bearing in the bearing block. It will not take the load of the helicopter when inverted. The correct way to remove the slop it to add a second shim between the main gear assembly and the middle main shaft bearing. Danny is correct, you don't want to add pressure to the bearings, just take out the slack. If you need to use more than two I would take it apart and check to make sure there isn't any bent components. With that said having a small amount of play isn't going to hurt anything, this is one of the extra steps you can take to make it operate that much smoother.
Team Synergy / Rail Blades / Scorpion Power Systems/Thunder Power

Offline Danny Dugger

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Veteran
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2015, 07:32:19 PM »

Offline enz5573

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2015, 07:27:51 AM »
Hi..
There is .015 which is 0.39mm play. I checked it with a feeler gauge! the smallest I have right now is in hand is .020 is two big. I will order some s.s. shims kit. thanks for the link.. and thank you all for the replys
Thanks,Vincent