April 25, 2024, 02:19:19 AM

Author Topic: Ball links not fitting  (Read 5185 times)

Offline troasb

Ball links not fitting
« on: September 17, 2015, 07:14:51 PM »
I am one my way buliting the E7se. And I am beeing annoyed that the head ball lings do not fit the rods. I have to drill them up to even go into the treads. This is a high end helicopter and probably the most expensive it out there, so  I except much more from Synergy helicopters.

Offline curmudgeon

• Synergy Veteran
Re: Ball links not fitting
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 07:45:21 PM »
What tools are you using to thread the plastic ball links into the rods?

Offline Danny Dugger

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Veteran
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 07:57:31 PM »
Definitely NOT the most expensive kit, there are plenty that are pricier. But the links are meant to fit tight so that the threads don't slip. Sometimes I use a pair of channel locks to hold the rod while I tighten the link.

Offline Rodney Kirstine

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 09:08:15 PM »
If they are the stock rods, I would be worried about the rods pulling out of the links after drilling them out.  What size drill bit did you use?
Rodney

Team Synergy

Offline Danny Dugger

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Veteran
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 10:10:10 PM »
I agree with Rodney, I wouldn't recommend drilling the links if you're using stock rods.

Offline troasb

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2015, 10:31:57 PM »
Definitely NOT the most expensive kit, there are plenty that are pricier. But the links are meant to fit tight so that the threads don't slip. Sometimes I use a pair of channel locks to hold the rod while I tighten the link.

What is the most expensive kit out there?

Offline cml001

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Veteran
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2015, 10:35:43 PM »
I've used the stock links... Just use a pair of vise grips to hold the rod.. Then screw on the ball links. I do however like Ralph's turnbuckles... & they come assembled together per the manual.. But either way... It's a kit.. U have to build it.
Clay
I can fly helicopters... Upside down!

Offline troasb

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2015, 10:43:16 PM »
If they are the stock rods, I would be worried about the rods pulling out of the links after drilling them out.  What size drill bit did you use?

I had to use 2,3mm drill bit to make them enter the treads properly.

Offline troasb

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2015, 10:50:13 PM »
I've used the stock links... Just use a pair of vise grips to hold the rod.. Then screw on the ball links. I do however like Ralph's turnbuckles... & they come assembled together per the manual.. But either way... It's a kit.. U have to build it.

Yes. for sure, it is kit, but It is supposed to be a high end kit where you should not have have to drill out ball links

Offline cml001

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Veteran
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2015, 10:51:50 PM »
I think that's odd... I'm with Danny & Rodney.. Wouldn't trust them to hold after taking out meat by drilling... They are suppose to be a tight fit. I have a bunch of extra links in can send u if u like... I'll even thread them for ya... I currently have Ralph's FBL turnbuckles on mine.. Which have a larger diameter rod.. Anyhow.. PM me ur address & I'll send them to ya.. Cyclic servo to swash links right?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 10:53:37 PM by cml001 »
Clay
I can fly helicopters... Upside down!

Offline troasb

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2015, 10:58:12 PM »
I think that's odd... I'm with Danny & Rodney.. Wouldn't trust them to hold after taking out meat by drilling... They are suppose to be a tight fit. I have a bunch of extra links in can send u if u like... I'll even thread them for ya... I currently have Ralph's FBL turnbuckles on mine.. Which have a larger diameter rod.. Anyhow.. PM me ur address & I'll send them to ya.. Cyclic servo to swash links right?

Thank you very much, but this is not a big deal, just annoying in a high end kit. I have not get to the cyclic servos yet.

Offline Danny Dugger

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Veteran
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2015, 11:41:38 PM »

THE most expensive kit? Probably the Banshee if you can get your hands on one. When the new TDR is released it will be well beyond the cost of most anything available today, the speed version was rumored to be over $3500 just for the kit but no official numbers on it yet. The Diabolo is more expensive, and plenty of Goblin 700 kits are also more expensive. Mikado and Gaui have similar pricing. In fact the new Gaui R5 will be more than the E7SE. Synergy price really isn't that bad. I've had some experience with some of those other kits, and make no mistake - Synergy kits are definitely top quality.
   Matt makes the links the way he does for good reason. I've never found them to be terribly difficult, but I do use tools to hold them especially on first assembly. You should not drill them.

Offline Rodney Kirstine

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2015, 11:43:37 PM »
In my opinion you have drilled them out too large.  The standard tap drill size for m2.5 is 2.05mm.  I would be concerned about the integrity of the links now.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 11:51:27 PM by Rodney Kirstine »
Rodney

Team Synergy

Offline Ding0

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2015, 12:04:38 AM »
Is the FBL E7SE Titanium turnbuckle set worth it?

Offline troasb

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2015, 01:15:21 AM »

THE most expensive kit? Probably the Banshee if you can get your hands on one. When the new TDR is released it will be well beyond the cost of most anything available today, the speed version was rumored to be over $3500 just for the kit but no official numbers on it yet. The Diabolo is more expensive, and plenty of Goblin 700 kits are also more expensive. Mikado and Gaui have similar pricing. In fact the new Gaui R5 will be more than the E7SE. Synergy price really isn't that bad. I've had some experience with some of those other kits, and make no mistake - Synergy kits are definitely top quality.
   Matt makes the links the way he does for good reason. I've never found them to be terribly difficult, but I do use tools to hold them especially on first assembly. You should not drill them.

Hi Danny!

I stand corrected and aknowlegdes that there are more expensive kits out there, but Synergy is on the top shelfe of the more expensive kits, and then you should be expecting top quality, and so far I am very satisfied expect some minor annoyments. I will never go back to Align again, that is for sure! Even tough Align is the most sold rc-helicopter in the world and have good parts supply in almost any country and flyes well, but Synergy is at another world of quality and craftmanship.

Best regards
Trond
Norway