March 28, 2024, 02:08:22 PM

Author Topic: How to secure mushroom gear retaining pin--Newbie to nitro needs help!  (Read 1450 times)

Offline txjohn73

I am the proud owner of an N5c and E5.  Love em!  I am new to nitro so I need a little help. The retaining pin for the gear in the pic will not stay in place.  It popped out once and luckily I was not high off the ground, so no crash.  I replaced the pin and have been inspecting it carefully. I put some red loctite on new pin but it works loose during the duration of one tank.  Besides putting epoxy over it I was searching for a proper fix.  It's a simple problem with I assume a simple solution.  I just wanted some input to help and give me peace of mind.  Thank you and I love my Synergies!
John
Whoops. Photo is too large of a file.  I am referring to the mushroom gear that is vertically placed in the chassis.  Hope that makes sense.  Thanks again. 

Offline cml001

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Veteran
Re: How to secure mushroom gear retaining pin--Newbie to nitro needs help!
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 07:00:15 PM »
I don't see the pic... But if it's what I think... DONT FLY till u tight'n the set screw! The umbrella/mushroom gears in the transmission & tail have the pin in question... The shaft that these gears are positioned on have a set screw going down into the shaft that pinch the the pin keeping it secure... This set scre must be thread locked & tighten'd. These pics are from pages 25 & 34... I think.. Note the set screws going into the ends of the shaft. In regards to the set screw in the tranny.. Thread lock & tight'n it down prior installing the washer & nut as they will hold the bearing in the block.. u see it. Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 09:54:04 PM by cml001 »
Clay
I can fly helicopters... Upside down!

Offline Rodney Kirstine

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 07:44:45 PM »
In case you don't have the manual, they can be found here:

http://synergyrchelicopters.com/manuals/

Rodney

Team Synergy

Offline cml001

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Veteran
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2015, 08:05:27 PM »
Yes, should have linked it.. Good call Rodney!
Clay
I can fly helicopters... Upside down!

Offline txjohn73

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2015, 08:15:40 PM »
Thank you very much.  I should have had the common sense to re-read manual.  Thank you so much for replying and I will fix this asap.  I knew there had to be a simple answer. 
Thanks again.
John

Offline Rodney Kirstine

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2015, 09:21:14 PM »
That set screw is very easy to forget about and you are definitely not the first to have this happen!   :)
Rodney

Team Synergy

Offline 1helimech

• That was fun
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2015, 08:09:43 PM »
as added insurance I put heat shrink around the area that the pin goes through it's a close fit but there is room and my N5c loves me for the little extra love I give her... 8)   Was just out flying her and her big sister the N7 what a great day it was here in ol Pensacola ....Thank you Matt  your heli's are a blast !!! ;)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 08:11:54 PM by 1helimech »
A&P mech. S-92,S-76 Small BH series, EC-135