General > Rotor Blades

Difference in blade weights

(1/4) > >>

Grees01:
Hey Guys. I just bought a spare set of 556 mains and 96 tail blades from Amain Hobbies. There are some minor paint blemishes on the 566 which I don't like but could live with, but I checked the weight on my AWS AC Pro-200 scale of the mains, and have a .7 gram difference between the two.  :( One blade weighs 118.24 and the other 118.96 That's a lot in my opinion. I'm thinking to return these to Amain hobbies for an exchange, but just wanted to ask for a little feedback before doing so. Thanks.

curmudgeon:
I too use the AWS AC Pro-200 scale.  Goes down to 2 decimal points.  Very accurate.

Just on weight alone, as long as the blades weigh within 1.5% of each other, they should not cause any issues.  Your blades weigh within 0.61% of each other.  As long as the chordwise and spanwise COG are pretty well matched, I would not bother making any weight balancing alterations.

Mike Spano:
post a pic of the paint issue you are talking about please so we can see.

that amount of weight is not going to be a problem. I don't even bother to check my blades anymore unless I see something is wrong. its usually something else anyway, a bent shaft or something.

Cliff Chmiel:
I would send them back, if cg is off the with length  wise you can"t fix it, you balance this with each other and length, drive long finishing  in to the wall hang both blades, they have to hang together, if one leads the other DO NOT FLY THEM. like cg off in a airfoil too far back towards trailing edge mean real problems blade lead lag will not match the other blade, and it will shake like you have never seen before. I just went threw this with my scale ship almost destroyed it

Mike Spano:

--- Quote from: Cliff Chmiel on March 10, 2016, 10:59:30 PM ---I would send them back, if cg is off the with length  wise you can"t fix it, you balance this with each other and length, drive long finishing  in to the wall hang both blades, they have to hang together, if one leads the other DO NOT FLY THEM. like cg off in a airfoil too far back towards trailing edge mean real problems blade lead lag will not match the other blade, and it will shake like you have never seen before. I just went threw this with my scale ship almost destroyed it

--- End quote ---

he didn't say that CG was off...

he only said the overall weight was off by 0.7g, which is almost no weight at all. they will be fine.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version