April 25, 2024, 10:35:58 AM

Author Topic: Flybarless systems and Why  (Read 3473 times)

Offline turner2

Flybarless systems and Why
« on: March 20, 2016, 01:11:41 PM »
I am going to build 2 n7. What is the preferred flybarless system and why? Over the last 8 years I have flown a flybar 700 Align . When I order my 2 n7's I want them the same. I am using a futaba 8Fg super that supports flybarless . Should I get a new transmitter? I will be using a futaba transmitter. What does the team fly with and why.

Offline curmudgeon

• Synergy Veteran
Re: Flybarless systems and Why
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 02:17:42 PM »
I believe Matt uses the Futaba CGY750.

It looks like most modern FBL units of reputable brands can be tuned to stabilize just about the same.  They main difference between them seem to be features, post sales support, and price.

1) Governor is probably the most coveted feature.

2) "Self-level" ("Rescue" even better) is a nice feature to have, but not everyone cares about this.

3) Bluetooth capability for tuning via Android and/or iPhone seems to be a sought after feature.

4) Transmitter integration like VContro/VBar/Neo, Jeti/Spirit/Spartan (soon iKon/Brain/Bavarian Demon), and I believe Futaba CGY750 with some Futaba radios is also a coveted feature for those who can afford it.

5) Telemetry is also nice.  Voice telemetry even better.  It allows for less reliance on flight timer, and more reliance on LiPo capacity consumption to know when to end a flight.  GPS telemetry allows for speed logging which is specially useful for speed guys.  Real-time ESC temperature can save you from overheating the ESC on a hot Summer day.  Receiver voltage can alert you if you installed a low voltage 2S LiPo.

6) Several FBL units are capable of vibration analysis.

7) Some FBL units have a BEC tester, which tests for the adequacy of the BEC or 2S LiPo to power the electronics.

8: Many FBL units allow for several flight banks.  Very helpful for fine tuning.

Prices for new units range from as low as $99 for the 3Digi to around $450

Good luck

Offline Robert "Full" Montee

• Facebook
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 07:48:07 PM »
Another thought is how easily can you get help with the FBL controller you use.
There is the help at the field and the help from the forums.
Also your choice of controller is an investment in time. Once you've learned that controller you'll likely not want to switch. This means choosing a FBL controller that allows you to fine tune your heli and how it flies.

Myself I fly the CGY750 and the Vbar with my Futaba 8FG transmitter.
I choose the CGY750 because I could easily get help with it and my observations and experience with Futaba are positive. Futaba, with the v2 firmware, implemented conditions "banks" so I'm bringing my CGY750 into competition this year. Forum help with the CGY750 is excellent.
I fly Vbar because it has the features I want for F3C competition. Mainly this is bank switching. Help at my field is light for Vbar, but the forums have tons of experience without having to ask.

Bank switching "conditions" allow me to drastically change the way the Heli flies. In normal flight mode my gains are maxed out for hovering, in Idle up the banks are setup for 3D. This allows me to compete with one Heli and have fun with the same Heli instead of having a dedicated Heli that only flies in practice or competition. Last for my nitro models my goto is the CGY.
Robert "Full" Montee
Team Synergy / Team Futaba
https://robertstechlib.blogspot.com

Offline turner2

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 07:24:19 AM »
Thanks guy's I have a cgy750 setup is no problem. I can get it updated to v2 it has never been installed. After setup I am lost. I need one of the team to help me understand flight setup. I will be in Huntsville need to spend some time with one of you guys with the 8fg. There is only 2 of us at the field that fly heli. We had Todd Bennett with us for a week 8 years ago but much have changed.

Offline dpelletier

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 08:12:40 AM »
Hobbico and Nick Maxwell just put out a series of Youtube videos on programming the CGY750 V2.
You will find them here... https://www.youtube.com/user/hobbico/videos
Dany -  Not on any Team  :( maybe some day :)
Synergy E5 CGY-750 (my favorite heli)
Furion 6 Flybarless, Skookum 720
Beam E4(v1) FBL, Skookum 540
Futaba 14sg

Inching my way out of being a newbie...

Offline turner2

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2016, 01:50:54 PM »
It's about time that is what I have been waiting for. Thanks!

Offline turner2

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2016, 08:18:38 AM »
I have a couple more questions if someone  could help. Me coming from Align to Synergy  will the align swahplate leveler work on the N7 and is the gpro  not advised. I will be in Huntsville I plan to bring my radio and cgy750 and receiver. Will someone go through flight tuning there. I know Amy was there last year If she is there this year I am going to get my 2 N7's I want to at least leave there feeling  like I know something.  Thanks!