March 28, 2024, 12:32:17 PM

Author Topic: Throttle Geometry  (Read 1534 times)

Offline sheva99

Throttle Geometry
« on: June 27, 2016, 09:32:16 AM »
One N5c brand new kit at the flying field, HZR Motor 16mm ball length on carb arm and KST Mini servo, skookum 540 Controller, End point adjustments 100%/-100% able to get full throttle deflection, Radio DX8 

Two other N5c Helis at the field, unable to get full deflection with same setup except radio is different, Radio JRX9503, KST Mini Servo, Skookum 540.  Recommended full EPA on skookum setup is not beyond 125% EPA.  Need beyond 125% to get full deflection on full throttle side.
Do you need a programmable servo to rectify this problem?
You could put the ball in more, but then you would have to cut back on the percentage of throw on the radio if you overdrive the distance.  And now your ball distance is not matched between servo and throttle carb arm.
Tried the stick scaling on the skookum unit, but no change in deflection.
Skookum does not have an EPA compensation adjustment for throttle servo that I know of.

Has anyone solved this issue?

Offline Mike Spano

• Synergy Hero
Re: Throttle Geometry
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 11:15:22 AM »
never heard of it before actually. my vbar gov with a torq mini servo works perfectly at 100% and 100%. is this a Skookum issue, or a radio issue you think? I wouldn't be worried about raising the % higher than 125% myself, but I don't own a Skookum so I don't know if it will make the gov act funny or not.
Team Synergy
Rail Blades
TRM Power
Team Byron Fuels
MKS Servos

Offline sheva99

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 01:32:16 PM »
Since I know that the JR radio works on all his other machines fine, I would tend to not believe it to be a radio issue.  So I am not sure if beyond 125% on the  radio will overdrive the throttle servo on EPA's, and crash it into the mechanical low and high points of the carb barrel.  Or if you keep the EPA's on the radio at 100/100 and overdrive the EPA's on the skookum, that would work.   However, the EPA's of the throttle servo are not adjustable on the Skookum.  Only the high and low points, which are memorized by the unit with two hover buttons.  I have sent a copy of this post to skookum, to see if they have an answer for it.  The weird par of this, is that you would think that with mechanically similar geometry it should be close on two different N5c's.  But it was from the working new kit with DX8 radio, and the other two that could not reach 100% throttle just did not work with the JR radio.

Offline Mike Spano

• Synergy Hero
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 03:50:47 PM »
confusing for sure. let me know what Skookum has to say please. that is an odd issue.
Team Synergy
Rail Blades
TRM Power
Team Byron Fuels
MKS Servos

Offline sheva99

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 05:16:15 PM »
Yes,
  I will reply back once I get an answer.  I hope that it can be rectified.

Offline J Anthony

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2016, 01:34:01 AM »
Yes, PLEASE post Skookum's comments here. I'm about to build an N5C and I'm putting my SK540 on it because I love their gov on that unit and want to try it on a nitro with the collective compensation the SK540 has. I wasn't aware of an issue with this. I use Futaba now so I'm very curious if it's a radio or Skookum issue. Please keep us posted. Thank you.