April 19, 2024, 11:37:28 AM

Author Topic: Battery Tray review  (Read 3120 times)

Offline James F

Battery Tray review
« on: September 04, 2016, 11:28:09 AM »
Hi everyone,  I have been watching fblrotors site for battery trays to show in stock.  It seems they are so popular that they are never in stock lol.  I did find some trays at 3Dheliupgrades.com  for 18$ each.   I am not sure if anyone is familiar with them so I thought I would give my opinion of them.

First they are 18$/each and come in various colors. They are 3D printed.  They come with a lowered section that drops into the rear and front holes in the battery tray which stops all movement front to back.  They still require a strap to hold it down so as not to lift the locks out of the tray holes.  They can be ordered in 12s or 6s configurations and have spots a narrow strap can be used to secure packs to the tray.  I use Velcro between the tray and the packs and two old align straps on my 12s tray that I have two separate 6s packs on.

I have put 8 flights  on them this morning pushing my E5s harder than I have in the past which isn't saying much with my limited 3D skills but they held the packs in well.  I tried to knock them loose with some tic tocs, piro's, flips, rolls, etc. and they stayed in place.

Ideally I would have 3 of Ralphs trays as I like the idea of ditching the straps around the main frame to hold it down and like the easy locking on his but until I can get some of his these are a good alternative.  Price point, and usability would make them ideal for anyone wanting cheaper battery trays or something to carry them over until they can get Ralph's.

Here is the link  http://3dheliupgrades.com/synergye5

They also make other mounts for esc, rx, etc.  I hope this helps anyone looking for an option.

James

Offline Cliff Chmiel

• Synergy Veteran
  • Cliff
Re: Battery Tray review
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 12:42:41 AM »
there cheap but they do work, been using for about a year
Cliff

Offline James F

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 06:23:57 AM »
I was set to order a couple from Ralph but they were out of stock.  I still plan on getting 3 complete trays from him when they are available.   I figure if i get the complete tray for a bit of a price difference from the tray alone i would have some spare lock buttons on hand.  I only ever keep two to three flight oacks on hand so three trays is ideal.  I prefer the faster charging of my duo over more money in packs.  So far i average over 100 cycles and counting on my packs.  I try to be nice to them lol.  I can get 6.5min on my E5s but land at 5min mark with 3.8v per cell left.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk

Offline curmudgeon

• Synergy Veteran
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 07:17:22 AM »
So there seems to be three options quick mounting two 6S packs on a E5 stretch.

1) 3D printed 12S battery tray from 3D Heli Upgrades -- $18.95 +shipping. (in stock)

2) FBL Rotors 12S Battery Tray Kit -- $56.95 +shipping (out of stock)

3) E5 CNC aluminum battery tray from gileswalmisley -- £70 shipped (about $93.30) (in stock)

I am contemplating purchasing one of these three, but not all three.  I would appreciate folks sharing their experience using these three E5 battery tray systems?

Offline James F

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 09:20:42 AM »
Personally i like Ralph's design the best but have yet to get my hands on a couple.  I have two of the 3d heli upgrade ones which do require straps to hold down.   This is the first time i saw the 3rd. 

I put some electical tape around the strap points on the 3d ones for my 2 6s packs with velcro between the packs and tray.  Slide the tray in and strap it down.  Pretty easy for 18 bucks a pop.  My 12s packs i vecro to the tray and just strap it down in the E5s.  Again pretty fast and easy to do.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk

Offline curmudgeon

• Synergy Veteran
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 09:31:51 AM »
is there a video or manual demonstrating how Ralph's battery tray system works?

Offline Mike Spano

• Synergy Hero
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2016, 08:31:25 AM »
3d heli upgrades makes awesome battery trays. been using them for years.
Team Synergy
Rail Blades
TRM Power
Team Byron Fuels
MKS Servos

Offline alan

• Team Helilids
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2016, 09:14:49 AM »
No video or manual. Ralph's is delrin. Has grooves on the bottom of the tray that engage into the battery plate. Uses a connector on the front that mounts to the bottom plate.  Only straps needed are the ones that attach the battery to the tray. He provides those with the tray.
You may want to email Ralph about availability. I think he may have some available but not up on the site.
Cheers
Alan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Team Helilids RC

Offline James F

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2016, 10:15:50 AM »
Thanks alan.  My birthday is soon so I know what to tell my wife to order now

Sent from my SGH-M919V using Tapatalk

Offline Cliff Chmiel

• Synergy Veteran
  • Cliff
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2016, 07:24:59 AM »
I would like to use Ralph's but never in stock
Cliff

Offline cml001

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Veteran
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2016, 07:36:32 AM »
I prefer a battery tray over strapping each flight.. Very convienent. I managed to get 4 from Ralph @ FBL Rotors for the E7SE.. They work great... All of Ralph's products are good! The trays do run outta stock quick. Take ur time on the install of the locking clips... Go ahead & order a couple extra of the male & female clips... While I've had several crashes and only ever had the mounts brake once... U wanna have them on hand if needed. Thinking of moving my E5S to 12s... Might need some trays for it as well.. Hummm
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 07:38:22 AM by cml001 »
Clay
I can fly helicopters... Upside down!

Offline Danny Dugger

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Veteran
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2016, 10:17:43 PM »
These arent for the E5... but I've got a couple FBL trays for the E7SE that I'll let go for $25 each. Both also have the female clips and flat head screws. One female clip seems to be a slightly lower profile version than the other. PM me if interested.