April 25, 2024, 04:32:49 PM

Author Topic: clutch bell bearing  (Read 5165 times)

Offline Tim J

clutch bell bearing
« on: September 05, 2016, 08:20:18 PM »
Hi guys
I was just wondering if any body else has had the bottom bearing in the clutch stack loosen up and turn in the clutch bell. It said it was factory installed, I used red Loctite on it, will see if that is going to work before I order a new bell.    I Haven't had time to try it yet.

Just want to know if any one  has had the same problem, and what they did to remedy it, besides buy a new bell.

Tim 

Offline Mike Spano

• Synergy Hero
Re: clutch bell bearing
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 08:32:37 AM »
not on mine I haven't. make sure the rest of the stack is built nicely and aligned properly.
Team Synergy
Rail Blades
TRM Power
Team Byron Fuels
MKS Servos

Offline alan

• Team Helilids
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 09:08:26 AM »
Never had that problem either. I have built and flown several N5C's.

Cheers
Alan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Team Helilids RC

Offline Tim J

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 05:36:38 PM »
K thanks for the reply guys, the manual said it was factory installed they must have misted the Loctite.
It makes quite a rattle as its spooling down no load on the clutch. I hope the red Loctite works the bearing was loose in the clutch bell.

I haven't been able to try it as the weather won't cooperate, maybe this weekend.

Tim J

Offline Mike Spano

• Synergy Hero
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016, 07:44:40 PM »
The rattle is likely something else. If you are hearing a bearing rattle (especially in the clutch) you have a MUCH larger issue. Your likely hearing the main gear to Pinon mesh, or something in the tt drive. 
Team Synergy
Rail Blades
TRM Power
Team Byron Fuels
MKS Servos

Offline Tim J

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2016, 08:23:32 PM »
I'm going to try it this weekend, see what it sounds like, the main gear mesh is good
 it would rattle even when sitting at an idle

the clutch bell bearing had a lot of side to side movement sitting in the bell,  it would just fall out!

Offline Tim J

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2016, 05:29:25 PM »
Hi guys
 I replaced the start shaft, the bearings in the clutch stack and one way clutch bearing. Still have a rattle, I'm going to pull the engine and check the bearings, and install a set of Boca ceramic bearings wile I have it apart.

It's an intermittent rattle sitting a an idle, it will start and stop rattling.   any ideas! 

Offline Mike Spano

• Synergy Hero
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2016, 06:28:53 AM »
all of mine do the same thing. its likely no problem at all. be careful with ceramic bearings, if/when they bust, they eat entire motors.
Team Synergy
Rail Blades
TRM Power
Team Byron Fuels
MKS Servos

Offline Tim J

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2016, 09:41:50 PM »
I have the intermittent rattle at idle, with no other movement in the heli at all. It has the same noise at a hover I can hear it over the engine.   It wasn't there this spring, was a new build new engine.  If it's not engine bearings, I guess I will fly it until something let's go or breaks.

I have had good luck with the ceramic bearing's in my other engines, so far. 

Not sure what it can be.

Offline Mike Spano

• Synergy Hero
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2016, 01:45:24 PM »
99.9% sure I know what it is. the chambers inside the pipe have downspouts in them. like 90 degree turn downs. they are press fit in, not welded like you would think. if one gets loose, at idle and at hover (where there is not a ton of air flowing through the motor) you can hear it shake. once the motor is idled up, the air the motor is pushing through the pipe holds it tight and it stops.

I have had 3 hatori pipes for the 105 do this, and 1 for the 55. just keep flying it until you hear it rolling around in the pipe if you want. remember, IF this is the issue, there is a likelihood of engine damage. just like the motor pulls air in from the intake side, it does the same on the exhaust side. meaning, it POSSIBLY could pull a piece of aluminum (if any breaks loose) into the engine and damage it. it is a slight risk though.
Team Synergy
Rail Blades
TRM Power
Team Byron Fuels
MKS Servos

Offline Tim J

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2016, 05:49:11 PM »
I would never thought of that, I will try a different pipe on it before  I change engine bearings.

Thanks for the info Mike.

Offline Tim J

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2016, 06:17:43 PM »
I changed the pipe on my heli and finally got a day with no Gail force wind to try it.
It wasn't the pipe doing the rattling,   so I guess next is to change the engine bearings.

not sure what else it could be! 

Offline Mike Spano

• Synergy Hero
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2016, 08:10:39 AM »
long as it sounds good while it is flying I wouldn't worry too much about it. they do seem to make odd noises at idle.
Team Synergy
Rail Blades
TRM Power
Team Byron Fuels
MKS Servos

Offline Tim J

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2016, 05:33:09 PM »
I heard the rattle noise in flight yesterday, didn't sound good at all! I'm going to pull the engine apart
and check the bearings.

Offline Tim J

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2016, 08:15:39 PM »
I pulled the engine and checked the bearings, front one was good back bearing was very rough when turned by hand.
So I replaced them, the engine wouldn't have two gallons of fuel through it. I bought it new when I purchased my N5c kit in January.