Other Manufacturer > General Heli Support

Please help. ESC, motor or iKon?

(1/1)

J Anthony:
I'll make this as short as I can... Scorpion 4035-560 motor on 12S, Castle Edge 120HV ESC and iKon (V2) using the iKon gov. My heli started bogging VERY badly. Like it was hitting LVC but if I left it alone a second it would build speed back up, it just won't hold it through a maneuver. Just tries to die out. Turns out the soldering job done by the guy I got this from between the motor and ESC was horrible! I twisted one of the bullets off by hand. Barely any solder touching the wire. I re-soldered everything using CC 5.5mm solid bullets like I normally do and thought I'd found my problem. Went back out yesterday and same thing. All I did were pitch pumps for 2 minutes. The motor and ESC were so hot I couldn't touch them. The logs show nothing wrong. The Castle logs don't show it bogging at all. It's as if it thinks the motor is turning the 2250 RPM it's set for, or at least governing very close to that. It also doesn't show it overheating. So... I'm afraid if the motor is damaged and I put my Edge 160 on it I could fry that ESC. Does this sound like an ESC issue, motor or possibly the iKon? The part of the ESC that got so hot was right at the end of the case where the three motor wires exit the ESC. I smell nothing burned. Doesn't mean it isn't, I just don't smell anything and the wires that I can see through the holes in the top of the motor look fine. Thank you very much for any help.   

P.S. Packs are all good and strong. It isn't a battery issue I promise.

Chris Sexton:
If the head is bogging bad but the logs don't show it, I would do 2 things

1: reload the esc firmware
2: manually clear the log buffer.

Test again

If you find the same, send it in to castle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J Anthony:
Thanks Chris. I actually did clear the logs before I went back out Sunday to try. Should have mentioned that and I did the firmware after the first time it happened as well as updating the iKon since it had an update waiting. IKON isn't the issue I've realized because the throttle signal was good so it's not like the iKon gov was cutting out. So your opinion is its the ESC and not the Scorpion motor? I'm just afraid of putting my other ESC on if there's a chance the motor could hurt it too.

cml001:
Have you tried it with a "v" or flat curve with the gov turned off?

J Anthony:
Thanks guys. I'm sure it's the sleeve in my one way bearing slipping. AGAIN. They're making it right though so when the new assembly comes in I'll consider this a fresh start with this heli. Damn I need to hurry and build my Synergy's. It's a Rave 635 which I love but it had a bad build. Because of OWB issues I've rebuilt everything now so it's good. The 635 hub died on my 3rd flight. I then took the used 700 hub from my backup airframe and the sleeve was slipping. Then ordered the new style hub housing with set screw to prevent the sleeve from spinning but now the used sprague bearing inside the hub is slipping. They finally have the entire assembly in stock and they're sending me one.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version