April 25, 2024, 03:26:21 PM

Author Topic: Tail ratio question  (Read 1100 times)

Offline Roger

Tail ratio question
« on: November 10, 2016, 04:43:25 PM »
I am trying to incorporate E5 mechanics into a Kavan Jet Ranger fuse.  Part of this project involves speeding up the tail to compensate for lower main head speed.  I purchased the 54/12 tooth spur and pinion gears and installed them.  The build instructions says to slide the transmission all the way aft for the 4.5 ratio.  The holes in my frame sides for mounting the transmission are NOT slotted like the instructions suggest.  And if they were it looks to me like all I would be doing is changing the gear mesh.  What am I missing here?  Do I have a bad set of frames?  The 54 tooth gear is slightly larger than the 54 tooth gear and the 12 tooth pinion is slightly smaller than the 13 tooth. I put everything together and it looks to me like I have a good gear mesh.  I am stumped.

ROG
ROG
Retired Old Guy

Offline alan

• Team Helilids
Re: Tail ratio question
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 06:11:50 PM »
Roger. The holes are just slightly elongated. Not slots. If the holes are filled with dried loktite you may not notice the elongation. If you mesh is okay you are fine. You may want to clean out the transmission mount holes in the frame a bit to allow a small amount of movement of the transmission. Be sure your mesh is not too tight.
Hope this helps. Glad to see someone else also using the E5 in scale projects.
Cheers
Alan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Team Helilids RC

Offline Roger

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016, 07:15:12 PM »
Thanks Alan, my gear mesh looks and sounds good.  I have all the parts needed to stretch the tail out to N7 length.  I hope to get it in the air this weekend.  I already have the mains rotating CCW. 

ROG
ROG
Retired Old Guy

Offline cml001

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Veteran
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2016, 10:27:02 PM »
Post up some pics... love to see how u got it working.
Clay
I can fly helicopters... Upside down!