March 29, 2024, 08:07:06 AM

Author Topic: A little looseness in the head  (Read 2789 times)

Offline groundzero

A little looseness in the head
« on: February 12, 2017, 05:18:05 PM »
I have been doing some winter tune up maintenance on my E7SE and noticed that the head seemed a little more loose than normal.  I know that Chris Sexton says the tail thrust bearings should be a little loose since they will load up when the head spins up to speed.  I am wondering if the same applies to the head.  It is not that loose and would only take shim or so to make it where there is no play in it but also no binding.  The heli is just so bullet proof that I have never really had to purposely replace anything except for one minimal damage ground strike.  I do replace a few key items just for my own peace of mind even though I am sure that I do not need to.  What I am trying to say is when you pull the blade grips apart is it acceptable to have a small amount of play just like you expect from the tail.  Thanks...

Offline cml001

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Veteran
Re: A little looseness in the head
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 08:40:56 PM »
The head shouldn't be loose.. could be time to replace the dampeners.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 08:43:32 PM by cml001 »
Clay
I can fly helicopters... Upside down!

Offline groundzero

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 10:52:02 AM »
I have a new set of TrueBlood dampers that I just installed.  I have double checked all the bearings, thrust bearings, shims and they are all there.  It just feels like there should be just one more thin shim.  I thought that when I built it that it was just right, no slop and not too tight.  I will check it again...  Thanks.

Offline Danny Dugger

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Veteran
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 05:18:03 AM »
Make sure there's no loctite caked on the ends of the head axle. If it gets built up it can cause issues like you're describing.

Offline groundzero

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 10:42:43 AM »
I just went ahead and replaced everything in the head and replaced the dampers with the synergy ones and it fits like a glove.  Absolutely no slop whatsoever in any direction.  It wasn't that much to begin with but more than I liked.  Now it gives the impression that it was engineered perfect and is smooth as silk....

Offline Richard Rollins

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Veteran
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 07:43:39 PM »
Awesome to know you got it figured out!!! Have a great flying season.
Rick
Team Synergy Team Rails, Team Scorpion

Offline groundzero

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 05:00:46 PM »
Like I said above, the head is now absolutely perfect.  I wanted to replace the head bolts and so ordered new ones.  The ones I have are 5 x 35 mm shouldered bolts that are listed this way in the E7 SE manual.  I ordered the replacements on the Botos store and under the E7 SE parts they are listed by part # with an (a) behind the part number.  When I got the bolts the shouldered portion was too long.  My question is this.  Are there now spacers that are additionally required on the blade grips that go between the grip and the bolt head and also between the nut and blade grip.  I do have the spacers between the blade and the grip on the top and the blade and the grip on the bottom.  I did check several other websites and several sites are out of stock when trying to order the bolts.  The ones I have are fine, but I just like to replace anything that has this much force on it on a regular basis.  Has this shouldered length gone out of production?

Offline cml001

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Veteran
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2017, 06:25:01 PM »
I believe u have the wrong part #... what bolts is it u want? The spindle bolts that hold the blade grips on?
Clay

Offline groundzero

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2017, 09:10:27 AM »
Thanks Clay, I guess I called them the head bolts when what I should have called them are the blade bolts that hold on the blades.  My mistake.  I tried to find them on A main and they do not have any of the 35mm shouldered blade bolts.  I also tried heli direct no 35mm bolts there.  At the Synergy store still the only bolt listed is part # 100-535A which gives me too much shoulder such that I run out of threads before the blade is tight.  Do I need to get a set of the 5mm blade bolt adapters to provide the extra spacing I need to be able to tighten up the nut on the bolt before it gets to the shouldered part? I have been using the bolts that came with the kit for 3 years with no problems.  I just thought it was time to replace them.  On page 45 of the E7 SE manual it does show the two spacers between the blade and the grip but shows no adapter. 

Offline quantummodz

• always looking for that something special
    • quantummodz.com
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2017, 02:51:38 PM »
I have spacers either side of the main blade grip depends on blade girth

Sent from my VFD 600 using Tapatalk

TEAM CHOCOLATE - smooth and taste heli flying

Offline Gabriel Sandoval

• Field Representative
  • If your not crashin' your not trying hard enough..
    • Midwest Heli Boyz
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2017, 04:09:08 PM »
Blade bolt adapters part #310-145
Team Synergy
Team Scorpion
Team Dee Force Aviation
Team YS Performance USA
Looking for a fuel Sponsor

Offline cml001

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Veteran
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2017, 04:16:22 PM »
100-535A is the bolts part number. It is 5x35 and yes, shims are required for most blades.. it really depends on the thickness of the blade root.. I fly Rail blades and they do require the shims. Those shims come with the blades. There are also bolt adapters.. not sure which u are speaking of.. a pic of what u have going on would be helpful..but if you need some shims, shoot me a PM with your name & address & I'll be happy to send u some.. I've got bags of them.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 04:18:31 PM by cml001 »
Clay