March 28, 2024, 07:24:11 AM

Author Topic: N5c main transmission  (Read 1375 times)

Offline CZS550

N5c main transmission
« on: April 07, 2017, 09:15:45 AM »
Hey guys,

I am having so much fun flying my N5c. It is my first nitro heli and I couldn't be having more fun!

Unfortunately, I am afraid to continue flying it as I am feeling play in the main shaft. I initially noticed it while carrying the heli by the head/blade grips. The play is not vertical. It appears to be the main shaft very slightly moving side to side in the lower bearing block. I removed the bearing block and it looks and feels fine. I don't have much experience and would like to know if this acceptable movement. I did order a new bearing and main shaft to try. Any help is much appreciated.

Offline CZS550

Re: N5c main transmission
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 04:55:23 PM »
I wont have new parts until Monday :( Any thoughts on using green loctite to get me by for the weekend?

Offline Vince Young

• Field Representative
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 05:39:53 PM »
If you feel the bearing is secure in the block, try measuring the inside of the bearing with a caliper. Then measure the main shaft. Let's figure out where the play is.

Offline CZS550

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 06:24:18 PM »
Hey thanks for getting back to me. I don't own a pair of calipers. A tool long over due. Closely examining the bearing outside of the machine I see no problem. However, I can see the smallest gap between the inner race of the bearing and the shaft as I rock it back and forth. I know this is not a good way of figuring this out but at the moment its the best I can do. The bottom of the shaft that was inserted into the bearing looks very shiny. I am thinking it was spinning in the bearing at times wearing it down. Is this possible? I should probably be patient and wait for the new bearing and main shaft.

Offline Gabriel Sandoval

• Field Representative
  • If your not crashin' your not trying hard enough..
    • Midwest Heli Boyz
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 10:29:29 AM »
There should be absolutely no play between the shaft and shaft bearings. After you replace the bearings and shaft report back with your findings. And yes shafts that slip will either polish themselves or mar up the finish. Either is bad news.
Team Synergy
Team Scorpion
Team Dee Force Aviation
Team YS Performance USA
Looking for a fuel Sponsor

Offline CZS550

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2017, 02:32:20 PM »
I guess I got lucky my parts showed up today. So I pressed in new bearings to the upper and lower blocks. The new shaft is nice and tight in the lower bearing but has extremely small play in the upper. I notice as I turn the head and keep rocking the same way the play changes more and less. Compared to what I had with the older setup this feels much better. I am going to fly it and see if it gets bad again.

Offline CZS550

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2017, 06:35:39 PM »
I flew through a gallon today and the N5c is flying great. The very small amount of play I feel in the upper bearing did not change in any way. The bottom is nice and tight.