March 28, 2024, 04:13:15 AM

Author Topic: Swashplate ball stiffness  (Read 1200 times)

Offline Dgreen77

Swashplate ball stiffness
« on: April 08, 2017, 10:03:02 AM »
I have just purchased a new E5 kit and checking all the parts I noticed that the swash-plate ball is fairly stiff as you tilt the swash. This is the first 550 that I am building, currently flying Trex 450.
Is the stiffness normal or do I have a defective part? My 450 swash is very smooth! I checked some of the forms but all I could find was stiffness sliding on the shaft, mine fits fine on the shaft and no slop in bearing.
Would appreciate any help with my first Synergy project. 

I have also  removed the 4 balls from the swash-plate outer ring to make sure they were not causing the problem.
In further checking the swash plate moves one direction fairly smoothly but at 180 degrees it is tight to move. I marked the inner ball and the outer ring. Moved the inner ball at 90 degree increments and the tight spot stays in the same place. So I think the problem is the outer ring is egg shaped!!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 01:39:57 PM by Dgreen77 »

Offline curmudgeon

• Synergy Veteran
Re: Swashplate ball stiffness
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 10:36:43 AM »
The center ball should rotate fairly smoothly within the swash.  Is it possible the clamp bolt may be too tight?

Offline alouellette

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 12:17:38 PM »
I am making an assumption that the swash balls are screwed into the swash plate.  If so, back out all 4 of the balls at least halfway, then attempt to rotate the swash. It it rotates normally, then you may have to grind each of the swash ball threads by a mm or so.

Offline Dgreen77

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2017, 01:46:19 PM »
I had already removed the balls but did not help, after checking further it seems like the outer ball retainer is egg shaped.
The ball moves one direction fairly smoothly but at 180 degrees it is tight. I also rotated the ball around at 90 degree increments and the tight spot stays in the same place.

Offline curmudgeon

• Synergy Veteran
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 03:06:57 PM »
You may want to email Matt directly about this issue.  He may want you to send him the swash for inspection and possible repair or replacement.

Offline Rodney Kirstine

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2017, 08:21:25 PM »
Yeah, you should probably go ahead and email matt@mattbotos.com. 
Rodney

Team Synergy

Offline Dgreen77

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2017, 08:47:43 PM »
Thanks for the info, I will go ahead and Email Matt, cause I don't see any way that I can fix it!
Everything else in the kit seems to be high quality!

Offline Dgreen77

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2017, 11:00:28 PM »
Just wanted to let everyone know that I did Email Matt about the problem and he had me send the swash to him, fixed it and sent it back to me.Only took a week! Now it is smooth with no binding.

There service is great!!

Offline Rodney Kirstine

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2017, 07:51:36 PM »
Good to hear!  That kind of service is exactly why those of us on the team love representing Synergy.  If you have any more questions just let us know.
Rodney

Team Synergy

Offline Richard Rollins

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Veteran
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2017, 08:21:40 PM »
Awesome .
Rick
Team Synergy Team Rails, Team Scorpion