March 29, 2024, 12:25:39 AM

Author Topic: E7 Torque Tube Tailbox rebuild question  (Read 1805 times)

Offline TJ Present

• The ox is slow but the earth is patient.
E7 Torque Tube Tailbox rebuild question
« on: May 15, 2017, 03:09:03 PM »
Replaced the Tail Box Plates (left and right) and Tail Box Plate Spacer, and all bearings in the the tailbox and both mushroom and bevel 20T gears.  Also replaced shaft.

Found that the gear mesh was too tight although the mushroom gear was fully seated. 

Reduced the space between the taibox bearings by sanding the plastic spacer (320-405). This allowed the mushroom bevel gear(320-220) to be spaced 0.2mm farther into the tailbox piece.  Now the tailbox gears are smooth running and the clearance between the chamfered  bearing plate (320-402) on the right and the mushroom gear matches photos I've seen posted on the support forum.

Question: Has the mushroom gear (320-220) sizing changed?  Has the spacer (320-405) length changed?

In essence, what gives?

Thoughts on the subject are appreciated.

Tom

Offline TJ Present

• The ox is slow but the earth is patient.
Re: E7 Torque Tube Tailbox rebuild question
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 08:06:34 AM »
After discussion with a buddy who also flies Synergy,  we concluded that I softened the plastic spacer while heating tailbox to remove bearings possibly making it longer.  Probably the answer.  I don't like tapping out bearings as it sometimes notches the balls.  On future rebuilds I'll consider the spacer a throw-away item and order a replacement with the bearings.  Left that piece of info out of original post but thought about later.  Always the little things.

Offline Danny Dugger

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Veteran
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 09:06:37 AM »
Consider throwing it in the freezer, the plastic will shrink more than the bearings and they should slip right off.

Offline Rodney Kirstine

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 05:35:16 PM »
Consider throwing it in the freezer, the plastic will shrink more than the bearings and they should slip right off.

This works like a freaking charm.
Rodney

Team Synergy