April 19, 2024, 01:21:19 PM

Author Topic: esc shut down  (Read 3806 times)

Offline Cliff Chmiel

• Synergy Veteran
  • Cliff
esc shut down
« on: May 27, 2017, 11:12:56 PM »
Maiden went bad,,ship was flying perfect, started off on 1600 felt good did few fig 8 switch up to 1750 felt even better few rolls and a loop . then switch to idle up 3  1900 felt great tail was awesome few more rolls then into a loop rolled inverted about 25 off the ground esc shut down, I flipped back over and tried to auto pancaked on the skids, broke one blade bent feathing shaft no boom damage, no skid damage, canopy is fine, still have to check the tail. Esc was beeping I think it shut down on over heat. running a xnova 4530-500kv on a 13th pinion, motor is brand new. Esc I used in a plane, Esc setup on insensitive, mutirotor like I do on all my ships let ikon do everything. Esc is cc 160 with fan. Motor, and gearing is super smooth, just like chris video. None of the plugs were hot esc was not even hot, motor was 130, I keep temp gun in my trailer. Any idea what happen? Should I replace the esc?  Cliff
Cliff

Offline curmudgeon

• Synergy Veteran
Re: esc shut down
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2017, 11:34:40 PM »
I would first verify that Cutoffs >> Current Limiting is set to Insensitive (280A).  Check the Castle logs.  It will most likely show what happened at the instant the ESC shut off.   Post the PDF of the Castle settings.

Offline Cliff Chmiel

• Synergy Veteran
  • Cliff
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2017, 11:42:44 PM »
Very odd just check esc log it recorded nothing, I'm mean nothing, it recorded the time only 5min everything else is not there. I do not under stand this, I pluged esc back in at the field, and shows me testing it, the flight before is blank.
Cliff

Offline Cliff Chmiel

• Synergy Veteran
  • Cliff
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2017, 11:44:20 PM »
My guess is when it shut down did not save the info.
Cliff

Offline Cliff Chmiel

• Synergy Veteran
  • Cliff
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2017, 12:03:05 AM »
Shows nothing

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Cliff

Offline curmudgeon

• Synergy Veteran
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2017, 06:53:24 AM »
I was under the impression that Castle saved the logs moment to moment.  I am surprised it does not do that.

Have you checked your Current Limiting setting?

Offline Jason Cummings

• Field Representative
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2017, 01:04:35 PM »
Sorry you're having trouble, not knowing the cause is the worst! I had a similar problem early on that would not go away until I replaced the ikon. Twice the esc shut down and then the rudder shut off in flight. If you cant find fault with the esc try swapping the flight controller.

Offline Cliff Chmiel

• Synergy Veteran
  • Cliff
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2017, 01:32:03 PM »
Ikon is brand new too, I call  in a new esc, see what happens, will just hover around for a few flights, felt so good off I went. I have 6 other ikons , with no problems, the esc was the only used part in it, was in a extreme flight 91" yak on the hh 360 motor, that I really push hard on. Have a new hv 120 but I think its too small.
Cliff

Offline curmudgeon

• Synergy Veteran
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2017, 03:04:50 PM »
Maybe unrelated, but make sure to inspect the 160HV for physical damage.  I've had a capacitor fracture off both a CC ICE2 160HV and later on a CC EDGE 160HV.

Offline Cliff Chmiel

• Synergy Veteran
  • Cliff
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2017, 06:53:57 PM »
looks ok, took top off, no burnt  smell , caps look good and clean
Cliff

Offline Jason Cummings

• Field Representative
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2017, 08:38:04 PM »
My Ikon was also new. It was replaced under warranty.

Offline Cliff Chmiel

• Synergy Veteran
  • Cliff
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2017, 09:58:44 PM »
ok , I will replace esc, if that don't do it I wiil switch out the ikon.
Cliff

Offline Cullen Colapietro

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2017, 11:28:58 PM »
Check all bullet connectors. If there's a cold solder joint from the factory it could have overheated at the higher throttle setting. Will the motor/esc initialize on the bench? If so, does the motor run or just stutter?

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Offline Cliff Chmiel

• Synergy Veteran
  • Cliff
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2017, 12:19:48 AM »
Checked all bullet connecters all good. When I solder I use small torch, pool the solder in connect, insert wire, solder soaks all around, you cannot ever pull them a part, or twist them off you will rip the wire apart before it come out. Also bullet connecter is in a block of wood so it takes time cool. If you cool to fast weakens the joint.
Cliff

Offline Cullen Colapietro

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2017, 12:27:33 AM »
Sounds like you know how to solder ;) sometimes factory connections are bad.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk