March 28, 2024, 07:14:21 AM

Author Topic: Synergy E5 Setup  (Read 1741 times)

Offline SlowRoll

Synergy E5 Setup
« on: August 01, 2017, 10:10:15 PM »
Hi,

I am planning on buying a Synergy E5 and setting it up as follows. I have looked through other threads and am pretty comfortable with the following. Just to make sure though.

Any thoughts, suggestions?
Am I missing anything?
Thoughts on the servos?

1. BD-3SX
2. Scorpion HKIII-4025-1100KV (6mm)
3. Castle Creations Phoenix Edge 120HV 50V 120-Amp ESC
4. Castle Creations 20A BEC Pro Voltage Regulator
5. Synergy Rail R-556 Flybarless Main Blade Set
6. Synergy Rail R-96 Tail Blade Set

For the servos either:

7. KST X20-2208 Brushless HV Cyclic Servos
8. KST X20-1035 Brushless HV Tail Servo

or

7. BK Servos DS-7002HV Cyclic Servos
8. BK Servos DS-7006HV Tail Servo

Thanks!

Offline curmudgeon

• Synergy Veteran
Re: Synergy E5 Setup
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 08:35:45 AM »
All those components will work well.  However, the 3SX FBL unit, CC EDGE ESC, and CC BEC Pro use pretty dated technology.  There are more modern and more capable options available with more advanced technology and at a cheaper price.

Offline Rodney Kirstine

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 05:15:49 PM »
What ESC and BEC would you recommend that's cheaper and more advanced than the CC Edge and BEC Pro?
Rodney

Team Synergy

Offline curmudgeon

• Synergy Veteran
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 08:58:01 PM »
Assuming a 6S system, the $170 Scorpion Tribunus 120A or the $160 HobbyWing 120A V4 ESCs with integrated robust internal BEC and Active Free Wheeling circuitry may be a more economical and more modern option than the $215 CC EDGE 120HV ESC and $35 CC BEC Pro combination.  Also, since the OP is contemplating using the oder technology BD 3SX FBL unit without a governor feature, he benefits from an ESC with a robust internal governor, so that eliminates Castle ESCs.

Offline Rodney Kirstine

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 12:46:06 PM »
Also, since the OP is contemplating using the oder technology BD 3SX FBL unit without a governor feature, he benefits from an ESC with a robust internal governor, so that eliminates Castle ESCs.

I like HW ESCs, too, and would say that the 120A V4 would be a decent choice.

I run the Castle governor on my E5SS with a Talon 120 in it and in my 766 with the Edge 160HV so I'm not really sure what you're talking about there.
Rodney

Team Synergy

Offline SlowRoll

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2017, 02:25:29 AM »
All those components will work well.  However, the 3SX FBL unit, CC EDGE ESC, and CC BEC Pro use pretty dated technology.  There are more modern and more capable options available with more advanced technology and at a cheaper price.

The $160 HobbyWing 120A V4 ESC is a good suggestion to combine the ESC and BEC and cheaper, thanks.

What would you recommend instead of the 3SX FBL?

What about the servo options I posted, any thoughts on those?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 02:38:14 AM by SlowRoll »

Offline Rodney Kirstine

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2017, 12:41:22 PM »
If you're familiar with the 3SX and like the way it flies, there's no reason to not use it unless you really want to try something different.

I don't have any experience with KST servos but I do have BK servos on my E5SS, N5C, N7, and 766.
Rodney

Team Synergy

Offline curmudgeon

• Synergy Veteran
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2017, 02:07:54 PM »
What would you recommend instead of the 3SX FBL?

For the more modern FBL units, you may be able to tune them to fly about the same, so FBL unit flying characteristics is no longer a major distinguishing feature.  It is the other features that separate the FBL units from one another.

1) Computer operating system compatibility.  Mac?  Windows?  Linux?  Virtually all FBL units are compatible with Windows.  Spirit, VBar, and a few other units also run on Mac.

2) Reliable Self-level and/or Rescue feature that is pretty vibration insensitive.

3) Internal governor.

4) Integration with one or more transmitters.  This makes it so you can make most or all adjustments via the transmitter without the need of a computer.

5) Bluetooth or WiFi option.  Some units use a separate module.  Some newer units have the BT integrated.  This makes it so that you can make most or all adjustments via your phone.

6) Telemetry integration.  Newer units are able to "read" the telemetry data from the ESC.  This means that you would not need separate telemetry modules that tend to be bulky and/or expensive.  With this option, the telemetry can tell you when a predetermined battery capacity is consumed, so you can fly until that battery capacity is consumed.  This is more valuable than the flying timer.

7) No need to purchase "Pro" software to unlock all the features.  Some units require you to purchase the "Pro" software to unlock all the cool features.  Other units just include the software for no additional charge.

7) Under $200.  Many of these units with all the cool features list for under $200.  Customary discounts also apply.

Offline SlowRoll

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2017, 06:17:29 PM »
Thanks to everyone for their input.

Any suggestions for a good 6S charger? I previously owned a Graupner Polaron, but they are pretty pricey.