March 28, 2024, 07:02:00 AM

Author Topic: 55HZ not making power  (Read 1580 times)

Offline J Anthony

55HZ not making power
« on: August 06, 2017, 03:29:41 PM »
I have a 55HZ that's pretty old. Last year I got a new Powerboost II pipe and rebuilt the engine after a very lean run from a stopped up fuel line. This year I put that engine in my new N5C and it's just not making the power it did last year. Only way to make good power is about 1 and 1/4 turns out on the high and mid needles but I keep burning plugs and even then it's not the power it used to have. Any richer than that and it won't even do aileron tic tocs. My question is... can these engines always be restored to like new condition or can they be so old and rebuilt so many times that they're just worn out and should be replaced with a new one? I don't know whether to rebuild it again (shouldn't need it yet. Only had about 30 flights since rebuild) or just save for a new one. Thank you.

J. Anthony

Offline cml001

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Veteran
Re: 55HZ not making power
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 03:47:32 PM »
I'd check the rear bearing, piston head, shim, & the ring.. double check that u have a good seal on ur pipe mount.. check valve good?...
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 03:49:48 PM by cml001 »
Clay
I can fly helicopters... Upside down!

Offline J Anthony

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 07:05:33 PM »
Doesn't have a check valve. Not the regulated version. I was ASSUMING I have a good seal at the pipe because there's no black residue around the pipe. It seems to run very well other than not as much power as it had before. I know this engine is old, that's why I'm wondering if the safer bet may be just saving for a new one. There was a lot of oil on the backplate  (bottom of the heli) that made me think the o-ring has broken but it seemed ok.

Offline J Anthony

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 06:04:49 AM »
Well Clay you were dead on. Flew it again and in two flights it got very noisy and vibrating so badly it was foaming the fuel in the tank. I'm done with this nonsense. This entire concept of changing rear bearings every few months is insanity. L. I'm just going to send the crank and crank case in to Magnum Fuels to have the Center Glide bushing installed. I wanted to do it last year but didn't want it to be down and let someone convince me the new high end bearings would be better. They lasted less time than the stock bearings. It's down now anyway so I'm going to tear the engine down today and send it in. Thanks for the info again.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 06:07:40 AM by J Anthony »

Offline cml001

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Veteran
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 08:58:00 AM »
I was gonna try the centerglide as well... I have spoke w several that use it and hear positive things about it from those that have used it.  I ended up not sending mine in tho.. still gonna have to tear it down to replace the piston ring.. so I just opted not to... anyhow.. glad to help. Get her fly'n bruh!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 09:00:34 AM by cml001 »
Clay
I can fly helicopters... Upside down!

Offline J Anthony

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 08:33:54 PM »
Sent mine in yesterday. I spoke with Buzz a good while on the phone. Very knowledgeable guy. Putting a new ring in once in a while I don't mind. 25 flights out of a new SS bearing from rcbearings.com is crazy silly to me. Plus catching it in plenty of time so it doesn't grenade the engine. L. I'm really looking forward to not worrying about it anymore. In my case, apparently just letting it sit for 2 months after just breaking it in from a rebuild is enough to make the bearing go bad on the first flight.

Offline ktmdiesel

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2017, 04:50:19 AM »
What's it cost to get the centerglide installed ?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Offline Gabriel Sandoval

• Field Representative
  • If your not crashin' your not trying hard enough..
    • Midwest Heli Boyz
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2017, 03:33:02 PM »
$60-65 I believe. Give them a ring!
Team Synergy
Team Scorpion
Team Dee Force Aviation
Team YS Performance USA
Looking for a fuel Sponsor