March 28, 2024, 04:36:50 AM

Author Topic: E5 TORQUE TUBE BUILD  (Read 3208 times)

Offline Helikid42

E5 TORQUE TUBE BUILD
« on: October 25, 2017, 09:54:49 PM »
I have tried building the E5 torque tube per manual but always ruin the radial bearings when slowly sliding them over the ca glue! The original tt was ruined due to radial bearings getting ca in them, then I purchased a second tt and it happened again! This will be my 3rd and final attempt and I sure hope anyone can help with this costly situation I am dealing with. I am almost certain it is the glue I am applying..super thin. Maybe I should use a thicker ca or 5min appoxy? Thanks to all on this topic.

Offline curmudgeon

• Synergy Veteran
Re: E5 TORQUE TUBE BUILD
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 11:09:45 PM »
If you want to continue using thin CA, I recommend you first place the radial bearings where you want then on the TT.  Then apply the thin CA to the TT close to the bearing one small drop at a time using a toothpick.  So apply the drop of thin CA directly to the tip of the toothpick, and then bring that drop of CA to the TT close to the bearing.  The CA will wick "underneath" the inner race of the bearing.  You do not need much CA to secure the bearings to the TT.

Offline cml001

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Veteran
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 05:49:54 AM »
My method... measure & mark bearing placement w a sharpie... slide bearing on the TT close to placement.. apply Ca to placement area & rotate TT while using a tooth pick or small piece of paper make an even’ish layer of the CA... holding the TT vertical, slide the bearing down in the marked placement area SLOWLY making sure the CA doesn’t build up into the race of the bearing. Biggest thing is to just keep an eye on the CA so it doesn’t get in the bearing.. once it’s in place & the bearing is sticking.. just prop it up so any CA still flowning can not flow in the bearing.
Clay
I can fly helicopters... Upside down!

Offline gwright

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 12:48:23 PM »
"flowning"?
Gary Wright

Offline gwright

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017, 12:59:10 PM »
As clay and others said, it only takes a TINY bit of ca.  I put a SMALL drop on, then use a piece of paper towel and rotate the tube, removing most of the ca but spreading whats left around the tube, then slip the bearing back down the 1/4 inch or so that I slid it out of the way.  Almost instantly sets off the ca, and there wasn't enough ca left on the tube to flow into the bearing
Gary Wright

Offline cml001

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Veteran
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 08:36:54 PM »
Lol, Gary.. flowing... thanks! Lol.. hadn’t finished my coffee when I responded.. lol.
Clay

Offline gwright

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2017, 08:58:53 AM »
obvious of course, but you know I couldn't let that slide :)
Gary Wright

Offline Ryusadoms

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2017, 03:27:57 AM »
I like this way of thinking is very high.

Offline larry v

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2017, 12:51:23 PM »
So why CA and not red Loctite like the manual says or even green Loctite for that matter?

Offline FrankFuss

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2017, 02:18:23 PM »
So why CA and not red Loctite like the manual says or even green Loctite for that matter?
Manual says to secure bearings with red Loctite or CA.

Offline larry v

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2017, 03:06:08 PM »
true it does. Im about to put mine together and was wondering what the benefit of ca might be. I seems that that is what most people use. It seems to me that Loctite would hold better.

Offline cml001

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Veteran
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2017, 07:15:38 PM »
CA or Loctite.. ur preference. The red & green Loctite will take longer to cure.. cleaning the areas of contact is a must prior to using any of these products... please note that most commonly I see the thin, wicking variation of green Loctite.. having said that, be VERY careful not to allow it to wick into the bearing... if it does, there is no turning back... it will seize the bearing. My first few builds I used CA.. then tried the green Loctite on one build and botched it.. I have reverted to using CA personally.. it seems the easiest route for me. Bottom line is that it’s ur preference, but all work well if done properly.
There is another method that was explained to me where guys are also placing a pieces of heat shrink on either side of the bearing in addition to CA/Loctite. I haven’t found a need for this.. but it’s an option I suppose.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 07:28:42 PM by cml001 »
Clay

Offline larry v

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2017, 01:48:06 PM »
Sorry Helikid I don't mean to hijack your thread.

Is there a particular CA that most people like to use? Other than the Loctite, I have bsi gap filling medium insta cure CA on hand. Would this be adequate?

Offline FrankFuss

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2017, 11:09:59 AM »
That is the CA I have used in the past successfully on other torque tubes.  However for my E5SS I plan on using Loctite 648 retaining compound, because it will be easier to work with.  I will have to leave it cure overnight, but I can reposition the bearing or start over if necessary.  Also, if I don't use too much, there is less chance of it wicking into the bearing.

Offline Gabriel Sandoval

• Field Representative
  • If your not crashin' your not trying hard enough..
    • Midwest Heli Boyz
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2017, 12:27:05 PM »
personally i used the heat shrink tube with adhesive inside. Set bearings where you want them and the heatshrink will lock the bearing in place as a little adhesive will ooze out the ends which will lock the bearing inner race. Works slick and it's fast no waiting for loctite to cure. 8)
Team Synergy
Team Scorpion
Team Dee Force Aviation
Team YS Performance USA
Looking for a fuel Sponsor