April 19, 2024, 12:37:03 PM

Author Topic: Advice? Fixes? HELP  (Read 5292 times)

Offline Brandon Bartolomucci

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
Advice? Fixes? HELP
« on: August 01, 2012, 06:18:30 PM »
Alright awesome team of Synergy. I seem to be finding myself in a pickle here. Last weekend i was doing a preflight on my N5c and on the blade grip arm I noticed the shorter screw (the one closest to the blade root) wasn't completely tight. So I grabbed my wrench and figured I'd give it just a quick 1/4 turn to tighten it up. Didn't work. It wouldn't tighten. Backed it out and found out it was stripped.

I saw the outer bearing was behind it so I chalked it up that I turned it too much at some point and so I spent 32 bucks plus shipping and bought another one. It arrived today. I was all excited so I took it and went to put it on. I did notice that it was a different color than the original one from the box build but machining wise it was identical. Got everything back together and was on this same last little screw. I was being very gentle and figured I'd just tighten it enough so that it snugged in and I would let locktite do it's job. Well it never got snug and guess what? The brand new grip stripped out as well.

So needless to say at this moment. So my questions are as follows:

How important is that little screw?
Any suggestions on fixing it such as JB Weld or a work around or should I chalk it up and end up getting another grip?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 06:54:09 PM by Brandon Bartolomucci »
Regards,
Brandon Bartolomucci
Team Synergy; Scorpion; & Bavarian Demon

Offline Chuck Bole

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Veteran
Re: Advice? Fixes? HELP
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 06:37:21 PM »
 Helicoil.. Used them lots of times.. If you were close to Tulsa Ok. I think we could get ya fixed up pretty quick.
Do you know of a decent bolt supplier close to your home town?
Is the 3m bolt you are installing too long? Sounds like it might be a "Fuzz" too long.

chuck
Team Synergy Field Representative / Thunder Power

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 06:52:27 PM »
With the blade grip arm installed it actually is short of the entire hole. I say this because when I put the screw/bolt in without the grip arm on, there are still threads left that it will attach to but with the arm on it won't go down far enough.

In the meantime I went ahead and ordered some over night parts so I'll have them on Friday. The bad part is I can tell the other grip is on it's way out as well but not completely gone. So I'm going to have 2 extra stripped main blade grips.

Can you give me a link to a good tap & die set such as the ones you are referring to?

I may just shove some JB Weld in there enough so that it holds the screws in but not touch the bearing. I figure if I crash bad enough to bend the blade grips I'll need to replace the whole assembly anyway.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 06:55:16 PM by Brandon Bartolomucci »
Regards,
Brandon Bartolomucci

Offline Tommy Wagner

• Field Representative
Advice? Fixes? HELP
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 06:55:16 PM »
+1 on the bolt being too long if it's hitting the bearing it will just strip the threads with out getting tight.

Forgot this of you take the bearing out and put the screw in you can see of its to long then just put a nut on it and file it down till its just on the edge but not sticking out

Tommy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 07:14:38 PM by Tommy Wagner »

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 07:18:22 PM »
Yea sadly it's not hitting the bearing when the blade grip is on. I tried that out. I took the bearing out, put the arm on, and put the screw in. It doesn't even come close to hitting the inner part of the blade grip. It literally just pulled the upper half of the threads out.

Thanks for the input so far though. JB Weld is going to be my friend if I yet again strip the new one out some how. Otherwise I'm slapping red locktite in there and seeing how that works out.
Regards,
Brandon Bartolomucci

Offline Chuck Bole

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Veteran
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 07:29:52 PM »
Here is a few..
http://www.wttool.com/index/page/product/product_id/24525/category_id/14520/product_name/Metric+Coarse+Pro+Thread+Repair+Kits+%28Heli-Coil%29

or
http://www.ronlund.com/rcheli-prod/TRK-3X05.html

Any good bolt supplier should have them or can get them.

They are kinda expencive. but can save your backside..

chuck

Offline Chuck Bole

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Veteran
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 07:34:56 PM »
P.S. if installed properly a Helicoil will not back out and be hard to strip..
chuck

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 07:39:33 PM »
Thanks for those links. Is that the size I should be looking for or are there multiple sizes available and an all around kit that encompasses them all?
Regards,
Brandon Bartolomucci

Offline Chuck Bole

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Veteran
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 08:03:22 PM »
 The only ones i've seen used are 4m and 3m and 2.5m.. the 4m are used on the motor so not really needed..
The better sets will have different length inserts. I carry a 3m kit with me to funflys, came in handy more than once.. Only two sizes you might need are a 3m and mabey a 2.5m.

chuck

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
Advice? Fixes? HELP
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2012, 08:29:41 PM »
Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll order a 3m kit and repair the other grips when it gets here.

Regards,
Brandon Bartolomucci
Sent from my iPhone
Regards,
Brandon Bartolomucci

Offline jfluegel

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2012, 02:00:42 PM »
By any chance did you use the same screw on the new set as the old? If so, maybe the screw has bad threads on it that are buggering up the aluminum. As you know it doesnt take much to strip out tiny threads in aluminum.

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2012, 06:43:14 PM »
I came to that same thought process afterwards when it was too late. To be safe, I also ordered replacement screws to go with the new grip.
Regards,
Brandon Bartolomucci

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2012, 07:07:03 PM »
Does anyone know if the material for the grips changed from initial kits to now? My originals are a nice dark gray like material. The new one I had received Wednesday was a very shiny smooth grip.
Regards,
Brandon Bartolomucci

Offline Tommy Wagner

• Field Representative
Advice? Fixes? HELP
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2012, 07:59:11 PM »
No change in material just the finish

Tommy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
Advice? Fixes? HELP
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2012, 08:19:38 PM »
Alright thanks. I'll have to replace both then since I'm OCD and want everything to match. Haha

Regards,
Brandon Bartolomucci
Sent from my iPhone
Regards,
Brandon Bartolomucci