May 16, 2024, 12:43:11 AM

Author Topic: Tail Belt for N7  (Read 977 times)

Offline Roger

Tail Belt for N7
« on: May 02, 2014, 04:10:05 PM »
Has anyone ever done a mod to make the N7 a belt drive for the tail rotor?

ROG
ROG
Retired Old Guy

Offline Rodney Kirstine

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
Re: Tail Belt for N7
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 05:35:22 PM »
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!   :o

I think there was some discussion about this in the N7 forum, at one time, where you could see all of the opinions.  Basically, it would be a PITA to do and with the robustness of the Synergy TT setup, I personally wouldn't want to.  My E7 was originally belt drive and I installed the TT upgrade right when it came out.  I have zero regrets about it and would definitely not go back, if given a choice.  I also replaced the belt-driven tail on my N5C with the TT version.  That's how good they are, IMHO.
Rodney

Team Synergy

Offline Roger

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 12:34:35 AM »
Well Rodney, that was certainly an energetic ...... Don't try this idea.     

The reason I asked was because all of my other helis have belt driven tails and I like 'em.  The N7 will be my first TT heli and I am nervous about tearing up the drive gears in a tail low landing. 

ROG
ROG
Retired Old Guy

Offline steffgiguere

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 06:41:19 AM »
Delrim gears are harder to break then plastic. I've touched me tail often while learning autorotations and all I've ever broken is tail fins. Lots and lots of tail fins, therefore I figure if I broke tail fins the tail blades must have touched the ground but never broke any gears....have fun with your first TT heli.
Team Synergy, Canada

Offline Rodney Kirstine

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 07:04:43 AM »
:D. The Synergy TT was my first experience with torque tubes, as well, and I was nervous at first too.  I have found the gears to be very robust.  I was practicing autos and broke the rear landing gear strut and tail fin but didn't realize it because the helicopter wasn't very close to me.  Since the tail was sitting low, when I spooled it up, I pretty much ground the tail blades in half but all of the torque tube gears were just fine.

The only time I have broken gears was when I was flying in below freezing weather and the Delrin can get brittle. 

Sent from my MotoX via Tapatalk2

Rodney

Team Synergy