May 03, 2024, 03:50:42 PM

Author Topic: E5 Mechanics into a Kavan Jet Ranger Fuse  (Read 1361 times)

Offline Roger

E5 Mechanics into a Kavan Jet Ranger Fuse
« on: June 04, 2016, 02:29:45 PM »
I have an unfinished Kavan Jet Ranger that I started back in the mid 70s.  Life got in the way back then and I gave it to an interested friend to finish.  Long story short he did not finish it either and I now have it back.  I want to get it flying by upgrading to modern mechanics.  My plan is to install my E5 into the fuse.  I am going to need to open up the doghouse of the fuse in order to get the mechanics in.  I also want the main blades to be CCW rotating like the prototype and to move the tail feathers to the left side of the tail boom. 

I watched Chris Sexton's build videos and it sounds like I can just flip the one way bearing over, change the direction of rotation of the motor, and flip the main grips on the head axle  so I have leading edge control  of the main blades.  I think the process of flipping the tail to the other side of the boom will take care of the rotation back there.  I have a N7 head that I plan on using for this project.  Target head speed is going to be in the 1500 rpm range.

Your thoughts concerns and criticisms are most welcome.

ROG
ROG
Retired Old Guy

Offline fran11784

Re: E5 Mechanics into a Kavan Jet Ranger Fuse
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 12:01:53 PM »
Sounds like a cool project. Post some pictures of the fuse if you can. I flew back in the 80s and had a few scale fuselage's I wish I still had today. There were a couple of guys a while back who took a Trex 700 and did what you want to do, CC rotating head and moved the tail to the other side. There was a video of them flying it too. Cant seem to find it. My only thought is wasting a E5 in a fuselage....lol
I hate gravity!

Offline Mike Spano

• Synergy Hero
Re: E5 Mechanics into a Kavan Jet Ranger Fuse
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 02:24:17 PM »
you will have to get creative with the tail servo mounting if you flip the tail over. remember that.
Team Synergy
Rail Blades
TRM Power
Team Byron Fuels
MKS Servos