May 05, 2024, 09:11:51 AM

Author Topic: E7 shakey maiden  (Read 3229 times)

Offline Pilot error

E7 shakey maiden
« on: May 05, 2015, 06:23:06 AM »
This Heli flys like a dream at 2000!!  It looks like The first order of tuning on the brain is cyclic. It shakes bad on the aileron axis at 1900 and 1800 but as soon as I switch it to 2000 it stops.  I had a similar shake on my e6 and I think I raised the gains but I can't seem to remember. 
From the stock settings I've cut the aileron p gain almost in half from 32 down to 20 and even tried dropping the elevator p gain by 10.  I only had 2 packs to hover at the park last night so I didn't have much time to work it out.
What would you do???  Keep dropping gain?

Offline Pilot error

Re: E7 shakey maiden
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 06:33:39 AM »
I should add that I'm flying rail 696 and I thought maybe the blades where too tight? They are tight but I don't think too tight, they seem to move fine to lead lag.

Offline Jason Cummings

• Field Representative
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 06:53:53 AM »
Is it a shake or more of a wobble?  It could just be the  dampeners need to break in. I would just fly it at the higher head speed. Mine is super happy at 2200

Offline Pilot error

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 09:57:35 AM »
It didn't really look like a wobble or low head speed bobble, it was a shake, mostly the skids right and left wish I had a vid.  The tail looked solid ie- no up and down evelator wobble or shake.

It kinda seems like if it's a gain setting than shouldn't it get worse with higher head speed? Or am I wrong?

flyalan

E7 shakey maiden
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 10:58:09 AM »
I am not sure about he Brain but lowering he overall head gain is the correct move. You can try using thinner shims which will put less preload on the dampeners. I assume you have lubed the damnpners, head axle, etc? PM me for if these do not help.

Cheers

Alan
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 09:18:12 PM by Alan »

Offline Dan Minick

• Field Representative
  • Team FBL Rotors---Formerly Dyecocker1
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 06:10:21 PM »
+1 on the Dampener break in period. You might want to put a couple dozen flights on at 2000 then try tuning it for low head speeds
Dan Minick

Offline Pilot error

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 10:31:23 AM »
I guess I'm quick to jump right to gyro tuning,  but when 3 people say brake in the head and the other says smaller shims in the head...  It probably the head.  I probably won't get in the air again till the weekend.  15 gain seems to low so I'll run it at 2000-2100 till the dampers run in and maybe order thinner shims. Thank you for all the help.

Offline Pilot error

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2015, 05:23:55 PM »
Wait a min!!!  What's this the smaller shims I want are already included in my kit!
I thought I saw some useful stuff in the last never opened bag of extras.
Nice!

Offline Rob Cherry

• Factory Pilot
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2015, 05:34:39 PM »
Lol!
Synergy Factory Pilot

Offline Pilot error

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2015, 09:04:59 PM »
Update..  I pulled the 1mm shims and tried the extra .5mm ... Way to much lateral play!
Then I put the .8mm shims and ended up with no play at all and put it in the air....

The aileron shakes are now more of a real bad aileron wobble. (Still only at 1800-1900) So it's still there but slower and more violent.
After 5 mins of smooth 2000 some rolls and just trying to work the cyclic and beat in the dampers a bit,
I check the head and find the grips are up and down sloppy and a little lateral play. 

im not sure if I should keep the thinner shims in. Seems like I should run in the dampers with the stock shims
or get new/softer dampers,  or maybe there is another issue.

Any thoughts?

Offline Kevin Dalrymple

• Field Representative
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2015, 09:09:54 AM »
What is your gain up to now?  It might be time to retune the Heli with the new shims.
Synergy Field Rep
Rail Blades Field Rep

Offline Pilot error

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2015, 01:09:26 PM »
Yup. When I had it in the air it was back to basic gain settings.   
This am I pulled the dampers from an E5 head I had sitting in a pile.
The E5 damper are just a tad softer and well well broken in after running at 2500-2300 all summer.
I'll try to lower the gain again with the used dampers and 1mm shims.

I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow.

Offline Pilot error

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2015, 12:20:00 PM »
I flew 1 more back and tried dropping the gains a bit to no avail. My plan was to fly all day and get it to fly smooth at 1950 and up but....

Nope..... Gods damn food poisoning. 

Offline Pilot error

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2015, 09:36:59 PM »
Now it's so so smooth!  Nice. No more shakes. I changed too many things at once to tell right now what was the cause for sure.  My fbl unit smoked a really nice servo and the set was getting a bit worn in the first place. So new cyclic servos. My 716's came in the mail (I figure more weight swinging on the dampers) and I've got some softer dampers.
It flys vary nice now. I just Love it. (I'm still mad at my fbl unit) I'm gonna get a new vbar but everything else is perfect.
Soon I'll put the other dampers and blades back on and work out surely what was the cause of the shakes. 

Thank you every one for your help.