May 02, 2024, 05:27:28 AM

Author Topic: Trouble finding part in tail hub  (Read 975 times)

Offline flyboyw20

Trouble finding part in tail hub
« on: December 22, 2012, 05:30:15 AM »
Hi,

I have a little bit of play in one of the tail blade holders on the tail hub. Looking at the N5c instructions there are two 5mm shims between the bearings 106-501, now I just thought I would replace them to see if it improves it. But they are not listed anywhere under that part number in the uk.
 Has anyone got an answer about this?
Has anyone had a problem with this play before? and if so how did you solve it? I do wonder if the bearing seat in the blade holder is maybe a little to deep?
What are your thoughts?

Offline Kevin Dalrymple

• Field Representative
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 09:14:37 AM »
Where is the play? Is it side to side as if you are flexing the blade holder? Or in and out as if you pushing the blade holder in and out on the hub shaft?

There is play in and out and this is normal. I have in and our play on my N5C. Once the tail hub is spinning the blade holders move to the outer position. There is no effect in flight with this movement.
Synergy Field Rep
Rail Blades Field Rep

Offline flyboyw20

Re: Trouble finding part in tail hub
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 10:43:02 AM »
Its in and out yes, but one side is worse than the other hence the reason I would like to improve it if possible

Offline Kevin Dalrymple

• Field Representative
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 11:49:30 AM »
Mine is too. That is fine. What you are seeing is the machining tolerance of all the parts. I put over 15 gallons on my N5C this last season and had no issues. The tail hub needs to be built like the it says on the book. The tail is smooth in flight with no vibration. If you add shims to the part where the grip bolt attaches to the hub you will have changed the spacing where the grips ride and could throw off the balance.

I would check the bearings and make sure the thrust bearings are lubed and put it back together and fly it. Do not forget to Lotite the bolts and don't over tighten them. You should be good.
Synergy Field Rep
Rail Blades Field Rep

Offline Matt Botos

• Synergy Hero
    • Matt Botos
Re: Trouble finding part in tail hub
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 10:06:45 PM »
Hello flyboyw20,

The in/out play is perfectly normal and necessary to avoid crushing the thrust bearing. The dual radial bearings on the outside with a thrust on the inside provides the perfect amount of radial support while the thrust bearing is isolated to only thrust force. Fly your helicopter with confidence!
Also, the dimension to worry about is not from the base of the hub to the end of the hub, its from the center of the tail output shaft to the end of the tail hub.

Thanks,

Matt