May 21, 2024, 09:23:06 PM

Author Topic: Straightening a pushrod?  (Read 1287 times)

Offline chad289

Straightening a pushrod?
« on: August 01, 2014, 06:26:05 PM »
Quick question,  I had a tip over this week and bent one of the pitch control pushrods.  (It bent to probably a 30 degree angle from being straight)  I generally don't call them crashes and prefer to call them "opportunities to upgrade" so I went ahead and ordered a set of titanium turnbuckles from FBLrotors.com.  However, I don't want to wait to fly until they come in.  Would it be ok to bend it back and retune the head (i know PITA but I can use the practice) or is the metal make up such that it will be too stresses and crack? 

Thanks in advance for any help.

Chad

Offline p johnston

• Field Representative
Re: Straightening a pushrod?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 08:08:22 PM »
No way would I fly a model with a previously bent rod. It's not worth putting myself or others in danger of getting hit. I know it sucks waiting but trust me, it's worth it.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 08:16:04 PM by P Johnston »

Offline steffgiguere

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 06:44:28 AM »
I've seen guys at my club do it but I would not. The question is: is it really worth the risk?
Team Synergy, Canada

Offline Kevin Dalrymple

• Field Representative
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 06:47:15 AM »
Where did the bend happen? In the threaded part or where the push rod is smooth?

The problem with bending it back on the threaded part is stress cracks that could lead to the push rid braking. If it is on the smooth part it should be ok depending on how bad it is. 
Synergy Field Rep
Rail Blades Field Rep

Offline chad289

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 05:09:55 PM »
Well I have an answer to my own question now....   I decided just to wait for the new turnbuckles so I thought I would conduct a little experiment on my own.  It bent right where the threading starts, I popped the rod off and grabbed it in a set of pliers and tried to bend it back.   The result was an immediate SNAP!  It appears the metal is too hard (understandably) to bend back without breaking.  So as was suggested above the metal would be very fragile even if you were able to get it straightened out.  Not worth it to risk it. 

Now nothing to do except a little maintenance until the package arrives. 

Thanks again for the input.