May 03, 2024, 07:00:29 PM

Author Topic: Things to check when you rebuild...  (Read 1536 times)

Offline RyanW

Things to check when you rebuild...
« on: April 24, 2012, 10:07:39 PM »
I thought a little "things to check when you rebuild" list would be good to have. Please add your two cents and I will update the original post to grow the list. I assume most people check the standard parts after a crash, but let's make a list of some of the ones that you might overlook:

1. Blade Grip Arms: These can be bent up/down and in/out in a crash. They are designed to be! So you should check them. Eyeballing isn't good enough. What looks fine on the blade grips can actually be several millimeters difference between the sides. In/out will effect your delta up/down will effect the pitch symmetry. The easiest way is usually to take both off, put them on a mirror or other flat surface and see if the perimeter (outline) matches. Then stack them on top of one another. If they rock, then at least one is tweaked. A good visual indicator of a bend arm are the stress striations. These are easy to see with the machine marks. If you see a dark or light spot as you rotate the part under a light source, it is probably from the machine marks being pushed close together or pulled apart. This is your stress concentration and the part should be checked.

2. Boom supports and tail control rods: Give the ends a good tug and twist the carbon rods. A cracked rod can be easily overlooked until you twist it and see there is a split along the length.
-Ryan

Offline Matt Botos

• Synergy Hero
    • Matt Botos
Re: Things to check when you rebuild...
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 02:01:14 PM »
On the N5c -

1. CCPM Bell Crank Shaft, the flat spot can get damaged causing a loose elevator feel
2. Servo arms can be cracked but hard to see
3. Engine alignment
4. Upper main shaft bearing

Offline churchyj

• Team Synergy
Re: Things to check when you rebuild...
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 04:17:54 PM »
I hate dirt, and when you crash little annoying granules of the stuff can reach places you might not see.  Check for dirt!
www.extremehelis.com
Auzzy distributor for all things Matt Botos &
Explosion Crank Fuels

Offline Barry Tilson

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Veteran
  • Perspective Visuals
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 03:28:51 PM »
Can the ball in the swash plate be changed? Looks like my crash drove it down 6mm. Is it a one piece ball socket or is there an upper and lower race? Looks like the lower race has moved down.
Perspective Visuals

flyalan

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 09:57:18 PM »
I don't believe any internal components of the swash are easily serviceable. With the right tool and presses it might be a accomplished but I have yet to see those parts available desperately.
I toasted my swash in a crash. Replace it then played around with trying to service the old one with no luck. Sounds like a new swash plate is in your future.

Alan