May 16, 2024, 03:39:06 PM

Author Topic: YS60sr  (Read 3210 times)

Offline craig1980

YS60sr
« on: September 27, 2012, 09:02:09 PM »
I just wanted to give a heads up to those who are thinking of purchasing or already have this engine.  I was about a gallon through this engine running only two clicks in from the factory settings and it ate itself.  The engine was running very cool after flights and then I took off into a hover and just hovered a few minutes and brought it down to check things and it was cool to the touch and still spitting a little fuel I took off again and was just hovering out a ways and I heard a ping start.  I started to bring the heli back and then a pop, smoke and no engine.  Only good thing about this is the heli is fine.  Looks to me like it was firing on one side of the piston and that side broke off at the ring and then the damage just got worse but I am by no means an engine expert. Those who have this engine may want to inspect it.  My piston was almost cut in half with a large hole on the middle and large chunk off one side.  I sent it into service but who knows how that will go.  Worst part about it is I went down to just the n5c this year to really learn as much as I could about the heli and improve my flying.  Looks like it may be the end of the season for me.  with 5 kids I'm not about to ask my better half about purchasing a new motor ;D

Offline Branden Wheaton

• Field Representative
YS60sr
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 09:07:00 PM »
I have a OS hyper 50 sitting around that had a full rebuild that I most likely will never use. PM me and I will send it to you.
Branden
Team Synergy

Offline Rodney Kirstine

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
Re: YS60sr
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 09:18:38 PM »
You know, I just got into this hobby in April of this year and I really cannot count the number of times that I have seen people offer up help like this.  What a great community and good on you Branden!!!
Rodney

Team Synergy

Offline craig1980

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 05:34:11 AM »
Big thanks for the offer Branden!! This hobby amazes me all the time and reading your post is amazing.  I think im going to just do some upkeep on the n5c for now.  I got to work today and had a protos i built and gave to a guy at work sitting in my chair.  That should give me a little of my fix.  Thanks again Branden.  I will update this and let you know what ys service has to say.

Offline RyanW

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 02:32:48 PM »
Wow, that is a first that I have heard of a YS coming apart like that! YS service should take care of you, hopefully with at really quick turn around. Please PM me if you need any assistance with that side of things.

-Ryan

Offline GScott

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 08:17:12 AM »
Sadly it's not an isolated incident.  Mine did the exact same thing with the needles running richer than factory.  There are now at least 4 YS60's that have done the same.  There is a thread on HF regarding this.

Offline RyanW

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 04:30:12 PM »
That isn't good! Can you forward me the link? (I am getting a spam warning when I try to open HeliFreak now)
-Ryan