May 04, 2024, 08:44:06 AM

Author Topic: 696 Build Notes  (Read 645 times)

Offline M.Schmavs

696 Build Notes
« on: December 27, 2019, 11:55:36 PM »
For the most part everything goes smooth! I just wanted to share a couple notes to keep in mind while going through the manual. I have plenty of build tips but everyone does things differently so I'll leave them mostly out of this post. I'm happy to share though if anyone has questions.

Nova Guys, you will have to source your own motor screws as there are none included with the kit or motor. Scorpion guys are safe! I did not see a recommended size in the manual but looks like M4X10 or M4X12mm will do the trick. I'll have to source these as I only had 8mm long. They catch the motor but only a few threads. The motor mount is quite thick. Maybe someone else can chime in on the correct size. I'll update here once confirmed.
UPDATE: I'm using M4X10 screws. Much more confident with these and 12mm might be too long as I'm counting 5 threads exposed and 5 threads in the motor base.

Page 13 - You'll have to swap the canopy mounts from the frame spacer to the ESC tray. At least mine was pre-assembled that way. No biggie, pretty obvious. I opted to leave the optional sensor tray off. I pinched the frame around the area, I don't think any necessary rigidity is lost... and the transmission looks very cool from underneath.

Page 11 - Do not tighten or apply loc-tite on the transmission screws until later! You'll need adjust these to set mesh after the main gear is in. Note: The front boom clamp also clamps onto the transmission so it might even be easier to set mesh when the boom is installed and loc-tite/tighten the frame screws after clamping.

Page 19 - The manual states "No shim is required below or above the main drive assembly" But it appears the kit does come with a main shaft shim. I went around in circles through the manual trying to find where I missed installing this part. Must just be an extra shim, maybe from another kit... Unless someone can verify I did miss where to install a brass 12mm shim!

Page 23/24 - For the boom support rod ends, the manual calls for button heads screws on the boom support clamp and socket head screws on the frame end. Mine came with button head screws on both. Pay attention to the length of these screws! Pre-assembly had the long 16mm screws on the boom support clamp, so I had to swap them to the frame end. You will bottom them out on the boom if you use the long ones. Also, Prep your epoxy or JB weld and all assembly parts for this step. You'll want to install the boom support rods before your epoxy cures to ensure the ends are flat at their mounting points. Leave your rod end screws loose and use the boom support clamp to keep them in place. Much easier to align, etc.. Tighten the rod end screws after everything else is set.

I'm done for the night, stopping at the rotor head. I will update this post with anything else I find.

EDIT: Nothing else stood out. Just paying attention to the manual and what's pre-assembled is key! Hope this helps anyone looking.

EDIT#2: added Page 19.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 08:30:30 PM by M.Schmavs »

Offline Jay Fitts

• Field Representative
Re: 696 Build Notes
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2019, 06:26:45 PM »
Nice write up 👍
I can confirm that scorpion includes the motor screws.

Offline M.Schmavs

Re: 696 Build Notes
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2019, 07:31:33 PM »
Nice write up 👍
I can confirm that scorpion includes the motor screws.

Thank You for the confirmation! I'll add it to the info above!

I just added notes about page 19 and the mystery shim.