May 09, 2024, 09:27:55 PM

Author Topic: Flex gear splitting  (Read 2037 times)

Offline Paulieb1979

Flex gear splitting
« on: August 30, 2019, 05:44:02 PM »
So Installed the flex gear today. 3 flights no hard landings no autos and as I was cleaning heli for the end of day and noticed the new gears splitting. This is pretty frustrating as the gear have bin an issue for me and I thought this was the fix. Has this happens to others.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 08:40:17 PM by Paulieb1979 »

Offline alan

• Team Helilids
Flex gear splitting
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2019, 09:16:35 PM »
How was the package marked? There may be some non-flex gear still out there. I still have both versions on the shelf. The new part number is 516-308F.
You could also be tightening the landing gear mounting bolt a bit too much since it happened right at that point. Just snug them down.
Cheers
Alan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Team Helilids RC

Offline Paulieb1979

Re: Flex gear splitting
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2019, 10:40:23 PM »
They are marked with the F after the part number. I did not think I went to tight at all never broke skids just screwing them in and has to be at least 60 sets in my time. Now heli has not even flown since yesterday and the back was def not cracked and now look it cracked just sitting since yesterday. 

Offline rmarlan

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2019, 11:11:12 PM »
The same exact thing happened to me.  This is my third 'flex' landing gear.  I installed one last night and it seemed cracked when I looked at it this morning.  I never even flew it.  My N5C is 4 years old - 100s of flights and still on the original gear. 

I think there are two issues here:
1- Even the flex material seems very brittle
2- The angle of the arms is much shallower than the N5C adding stress with any landing

I wonder if the N5C landing gear will fit the N556.  If so, hopefully Matt will keep making them.

The N556 is a wonderful machine - except for the landing gear... Maybe consider a flex material like Protos used for the 700 Gorilla Gear

Offline rmarlan

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2019, 11:20:00 PM »
One more thing - I think the N556 is the same part as for the 516.  But the N556 is obviously a heavier machine.  So it may be fine on the 516, but no so much for the N556. 

No doubt Matt will come up with a fix...

Offline alan

• Team Helilids
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2019, 02:46:08 AM »
There is a new landing gear in the works. Part number 556-211. Unsure of ETA.
Cheers
Alan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Team Helilids RC

Offline rmarlan

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2019, 11:44:29 AM »
@Alan
Thats great news.  In the interim, will the spacing of the N5C landing gear fit the N556?  Thanks for the great news. ;D

Offline alan

• Team Helilids
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2019, 12:06:24 PM »
It may. I will check for you this evening.
Cheers
Alan
Team Helilids RC

Offline Darthrc51

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2019, 06:20:52 PM »
Haha I’ve been going through the same thing.   At first I thought it was bumpy emergency auto but why did it not break at the field why sitting in my closet I find it on its side.  Next time I was sure it’s the skid as every landing was gentle and the following Saturday again helis in its side in the closet.   I tried stock part number and flex part number.   As a matter of interest the Align 550/700X skids fit great just need to slit the holes a little bit on the skids.  I too wait the revised synergy skids.   Great flying machine !!

Offline bobc

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2019, 08:48:34 PM »
I replaced the gear that broke from sitting a few weeks ago and did not even fly the 556.  I moved it today and discovered the new, unflown, rear struts both broken from sitting.  This reminds me of the first Synergy N9's strut material years ago.  It was so bad a flying friend and I ordered some gear from Germany made from a much better plastic.  I think they must be using dirt for a filler in the Synergy strut material.

Matt really needs to address this issue.  Wouldn't you be happy to have the gear break/collapse at the end of a nice soft auto and destroy blades/etc.?

I ordered three sets of Align gear per the above post.  Thx for the info.