May 11, 2024, 12:45:46 PM

Author Topic: My LHS E5SS Build  (Read 18955 times)

Offline Dean H

• Fail to Plan...Plan to Fail!
My LHS E5SS Build
« on: January 03, 2016, 06:01:15 AM »
Well, guys, I started my build last night! Man, what a quality kit! I can already tell this is going to be an exciting build!

I got the battery treys, ESC support, main boom clamps and Rx plate, and Gyro supports assembled. Front tail transmission was rebuilt using locktite and I installed the 11T spur gear. I rebuilt the main gear, OWB and spur gear assembly, locktighted everything and oiled the OWB. I also installed the 54T spur gear. The last thing I did was assemble the landing gear. All screws were cleaned in alcohol and reassembled with locktite.

Here is my setup:
Rail 716/106
14T Pinion
4.9:1 Tail gearing
Pyro 700-56
Jive Pro 120+ HV
Futaba S3470 cyclics (43gr! Thanks Gary!)
Futaba BLS276SV tail
VBar Silverline with VBar Control Sat

I'm hoping to be sub 9lbs, well see!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 06:04:16 AM by Dean H »
Dino
Ciitizen #453

Offline Grimmy

• Field Representative
Re: My LHS E5SS Build
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 06:21:13 AM »
Just and FYI, I think your front skid is on backwards.  Check the fitment with the bottom plate to see if the holes line up to make sure, but I've looked at a couple pics and the manual.   

Offline cml001

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Veteran
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 07:23:28 AM »
Both skid are backwards... Its ok tho.. A lot of guys do this to keep the nose down/tail from dropping when the packs are not installed. Say u were at the field and using a small table... Ur tail hangs off the table.. This would keep the tail up as if the packs were installed.
Clay
I can fly helicopters... Upside down!

Offline Josh Moen

• Factory Pilot
  • If it's not broke, try harder?
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 10:29:09 AM »
With the components that you are using you should come in under 9lbs. Mine came in at 6.5lbs without packs and 9 with packs. I also installed the 4.9 tail ratio to help in our thin air up here at 6000' asl. Have checked to see that the pyro motor will fit between the frames? If not, you may have to do the popsicle stick treatment to the frame sides around the motor and make the room.

Here is what I have in mine:
Rail 696/106
13T Pinion
4.9:1 Tail gearing
Scorpion 4035-500
Castle 120HV
Castle BEC Pro
Futaba BLS451 cyclic servos
Futaba BLS251 tail
Futaba CGY 750

Pics have Cyclone blades that I was trying, now it is back on Rails!

http://youtu.be/H4l7Gz61YI0
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 09:50:13 AM by Josh Moen »
Thanks,

JM

Team Synergy Factory Pilot
Team Futaba
Team Scorpion

Offline Aaron T

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 12:45:00 PM »
Looks awesome. You'll love the lightweight e5SS. Im super happy with mine. 10lbs RTF https://youtu.be/Lt7tzP3XMJ8
N7, N5c, E5 12s!, E5s, E5SS, 766! All SYNERGYS baby! Electric's cool-but NITRO rules!

Offline Kevin Dalrymple

• Field Representative
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2016, 09:42:35 PM »
I got mine at 9lbs. Super light.
Synergy Field Rep
Rail Blades Field Rep

Offline Dean H

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 05:33:56 AM »
Grimmy, I pondered that quite a bit before puting them together. I looked at a bunch of pics on the internet and saw pics with it both ways. I reviewed the manual and see what you are saying. However, my thoughts were that since I am super stretching it the tail will be much heavier than with the 550 boom. I was thinking that by moving the pod forward on the landing gear it might be more stable on landings and while on the ground.

Thanks, cml001. Yeah, that annoys me when I have a heli on the bench and no battery installed. Especially when trying to do some quick maintenance/repair.

Josh, That's some NICE flyin'! I was diggin' the tunes! What are your typical flight times/head speed? How do you like the Cyclones? Apparently, you like the Rails better... I Thanks for the advice on the motor. I'm checking with a friend who runs the K 700 to see if he had to do the mod.

Aaron, thanks! NICE flyin'! This is my first go with low weight and head speed. Looking for those longer flight times as well....I'm really looking forward to the maiden!

Kevin, awesome! Mine should be in the same range then.

I got a little more done on Sunday. I'll post pics later this evening.
Dino
Ciitizen #453

Offline Josh Moen

• Factory Pilot
  • If it's not broke, try harder?
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 09:26:06 AM »
My typical flight time on 12s 3300 is right around 3 mins at 2050RPM. I should also state that my batteries are old and get pretty angry after most flights so I've had to back my timer down a little. I am planning on replacing them with 6s 3700 packs. If I do a slow mo flight with one 6s 4400 I can fly upwards of 10mins at about 1000 RPM.

The Cyclone blades seemed to fly fairly good but they really didn't auto worth a crap. I definitely have more energy left at the bottom of an auto with the Rail blades than I did with the Cyclones. They just weren't for me.
Thanks,

JM

Team Synergy Factory Pilot
Team Futaba
Team Scorpion

Offline Dean H

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2016, 11:36:38 AM »
1000! Thats low! I'm planning on head speeds between 1250 and 1500. I'm going to start out at 1700 and work my way down to get a feel for the collective. I'm used to a Goblin 630 at 2260.
Dino
Ciitizen #453

Offline cml001

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Veteran
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2016, 03:07:02 PM »
Low low.. Lol... I've got my E7SE idle 1 @ 1400.. It's fun!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 05:09:23 PM by cml001 »
Clay
I can fly helicopters... Upside down!

Offline Dean H

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2016, 05:00:06 PM »
Haha...how low can ya go!!!  8)
Dino
Ciitizen #453

Offline Dean H

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2016, 06:30:38 AM »
The tail box has been rebuilt and reassembled using blue locktite. I rebuilt the tail rotor and I'll point out that this must be done as the thrust bearings were dry out of the box, which is normal in my experience. So, I greased the bearings and reassembled the tail rotor. The boom supports, tail control Rod and torque tube are assembled as well. I used slow cure JB Weld on the boom support ends and tail control rod ends. I used Omicron by Lynx rather than red locktite to secure the torque tube bearings to the torque tube. I've had goon luck with this stuff. It bonds and holds well and I've never had a bearing spin inside the recess using this stuff. Although, I've only used it on the outer race of sealed bearings so we shall see how it holds the inner race when I start to insert the torque tube in the boom.

I'm having trouble uploading pics. I'm getting an error that they are to large, which seems odd as I took the pics the same way as the ones in my previous post. I'll see if I can get pics up a little later.
Dino
Ciitizen #453

Offline Mike Spano

• Synergy Hero
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2016, 08:26:51 AM »
yes, all preassembled assemblies need to be taken apart. cleaned, greased, and reassembled with locktight. all of them. glad your enjoying your build!
Team Synergy
Rail Blades
TRM Power
Team Byron Fuels
MKS Servos

Offline Danny Dugger

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Veteran
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2016, 01:43:21 PM »

I'm having trouble uploading pics. I'm getting an error that they are to large, which seems odd as I took the pics the same way as the ones in my previous post. I'll see if I can get pics up a little later.

Yeah I usually set the picture resolution lower on my phone when I take pics to post here. Otherwise you need to resize/resample the picture size using a picture editor. I like to use IrfanView, but pretty much anything will work.

Offline Dean H

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2016, 07:16:34 PM »
Yeah, usually I email them to myself on medium but this morning I forgot to choose medium when I pressed send. I'll look into that editor seems it will make it easier. Thanks!

Here are the pics of my progress. That is the N7 Tail Fin on the tail box!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 11:46:27 AM by Dean H »
Dino
Ciitizen #453