May 11, 2024, 11:33:57 PM

Author Topic: Tail rotor hub assembly, do both sides contain thrust bearings?  (Read 1164 times)

Offline bleomycin

Tail rotor hub assembly, do both sides contain thrust bearings?
« on: January 24, 2013, 07:54:22 PM »
I'm on page 37 of the manual and have one of the grips disassembled exactly as shown in the manual. The manual does not show the "right" grip as needing dis-assembly but i removed the socket head bolt (100-306) on that side and there is no locktite on it. I'm afraid to try and force it apart as i'm not sure that needs to be done. Also, looking at the radial bearings (108-503) there doesn't appear to be any grease on any of them, but i'm scared to death of trying to force out more bearings. Are they for sure greased and ready to go?

Offline wbfines

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 08:21:28 PM »
You should disassemble both grips and grease the thrust bearings. I haven't greased my radial bearings. If you have a heat gun, you can apply a little heat to tail blade grip and radial bearing will come out. Should always disassemble everything and grease/loctite.

Offline bleomycin

Re: Tail rotor hub assembly, do both sides contain thrust bearings?
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 08:27:43 PM »
You should disassemble both grips and grease the thrust bearings. I haven't greased my radial bearings. If you have a heat gun, you can apply a little heat to tail blade grip and radial bearing will come out. Should always disassemble everything and grease/loctite.

Awesome, thanks for the clarification. The manual definitely did not say both needed to be disassembled! Did your tail rotor hub shaft separate from the "right" grip shown in the manual? I've removed the bolt but the shaft is still tightly in place.

Offline Brandon Bartolomucci

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 08:32:48 PM »
A small amount of heat does need to be applied for ease of removal from the shaft sometimes and definitely for the bearings in both the tail grips and head grips. They'll fall right out if you use a heat gun on them for about 30 seconds.

Regards,
Brandon Bartolomucci
Sent from my iPhone
Regards,
Brandon Bartolomucci
Team Synergy; Scorpion; & Bavarian Demon