May 11, 2024, 10:46:14 PM

Author Topic: Tail transmission gear play (video attached)  (Read 1578 times)

Offline bleomycin

Tail transmission gear play (video attached)
« on: February 12, 2013, 12:19:08 AM »
Hi all,

I wanted to verify my tail transmission gear play is setup correct, i have the tail transmission pushed as far forward as i can in the frame and it seems like there is an awful lot of play when i move the tail blades by hand, but i have no idea what is correct. I just want to make sure it's alright before i put too many flights on it. Thanks!

Tail gears

Offline Matt Botos

• Synergy Hero
    • Matt Botos
Re: Tail transmission gear play (video attached)
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 01:23:35 AM »
Yes, this is the correct mesh. These gears must have back lash, if there were no back lash the gears would create a tremendous amount of heat. The only gear mesh that is adjustable on the E5 is the motor pinion to the main gear. This mesh should be tight but still have a small amount of lash.

I can't speak for other manufacturers but gear mesh and mount distance are not guess work. I use bevel gear and spur gear mount distance equations that give exact numbers for each specific gear. Fly the E5 with confidence, it is right! :)

Thanks,

Matt

Offline RyanW

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 12:17:48 PM »
As Matt said, the bevel gears look correct. If you have a lot of movement in the tail system, check what is shown in the video below. (note, you have to look beyond the bevel gears in the video to see the large and small straight cut gears. The small gear (part of the forward transmission) is being held in place while the main gear and tail take off gear are moved back and forth).

We had very little engagement on the teeth (maybe 20%). We filed the frames a little and moved the entire front transmission assembly forward to adjust the mesh to the straight cut gears. All is good now.

-Ryan

Offline Jean-Luc Bolduc

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Veteran
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 07:54:56 PM »
Perfectly fine mesh as Matt mentioned.
Team Synergy