May 11, 2024, 01:56:38 AM

Author Topic: First time build log  (Read 3503 times)

Offline chad289

First time build log
« on: February 06, 2014, 10:52:45 AM »
Yesterday I made a post in the Welcome board because I finally became the proud owner of a new E5 kit!  I cant tell you all how excited I am to be working on this project.  I have been very impressed with the information on this  forum and realize that the forum is only as good as the people on it, so I felt I needed to contribute the best I could as a new guy.  So my plan was to start a thread that will be a kind of a build log for this project.  One of the things I didnt know going in what what kind of time frame to expect, so Im going to try and keep a time line of the work Ive done to give other new builders an idea what to expect.  Ill also try and document any head scratchers I run into.  And along the way if I have questions Ill throw them up.

A little back ground to give you a base line for my experience.  Helicopters were my first introduction into RC and I have been flying since fathers day last year.  This is my first ground up heli build.  Ive got a couple other bird that came bind and fly that Ive done lots of maintenance/upgrades on.  I do have a mechanical mind so to speak,  while not a mechanic by trade, I'm absolutely a  DIY kind of guy so I know my way around a tool box and work bench.  I've also watched Chris Sexton's videos a few times so I had a good idea what to do while following the manual. 

As far as components go this is somewhat of a budget build.  I realize that you get what you pay for and I usually buy the top of the line stuff to start with.  But as you know the in this hobby that can be pretty darn high price to pay.  So between what I had on hand and some deals I couldn't pass up here is the component list:

ESC: Hobby Wing 100a Platinum
BEC: CC BEC Pro
Cyclic servos: Align DS615
Tail Servo: Align DS655
FBL Controller: AR7200x (beastx)
Lipos: Nano-tech 4500mah 45-70c
Motor: Turnigy  Heli-Drive SK3 4956-1100KV

I know the Turnigy motor is a big deviation from the standard Scorpion, but Im not sure if I'll keep this 6s or bump it to 12s and/or stretch it later.  Plus I had a gift cert that made it almost free so I thought Id give it a try and can upgrade or replace down the road once i know for sure.  Kind of a gamble I know, if you have any thoughts on this let me know.     

On to the build!

So last night I started assembly.  I worked for about three hours and the first half was with some regular interruptions trying to get my daughter to bed and stuff.  In that time I was able to get the frame edges sanded and sealed with CA. And everything installed on the two frame halves, so they are ready to go together.  Well, almost...  Everything went together seamlessly, the quality of the kit is really astounding, everything lined up perfect.  The only problem I ran into that stopped me from getting the two halves joined was the screws that hold the tail and elevator servos to the frame were too long.  I dont think this was an issue with the kit, I think it had to do with the thickness of the tabs on the servos.  Either way I tried the screws one set (either the once from the out side of the frame in or the servo side out) extended just a couple threads too far through the aluminum mounting block and prevented the block for sitting flat against the frame or the servo tab.  Three options for a simple solution that I can see.  1. I think a single small washer on the inside will take up the space needed, two at the most.  2. Buy shorter screws 3. Bust out the Dremel and make the screws shorter.  1 or 2 seems like the easiest so Im gonna hit the store today and see what I can find.

This morning I got the head stripped down, cleaned up, greased and reassembled.  Very straight forward part of the build no issues here.  This took about 45 minutes.  It is so strange working on parts this big when you are used to an MCPX and a Blade 450.

One tip I have realized is to make sure you invest in a good set of hex drivers,  I had a cheap set and a good set sitting there and I could tell the difference in the two.  The cheap set always felt sloppy like it was going to strip the heads as you put that final tension in the bolt.  The good ones felt fine. 

I did have a question if anyone know the answer.  I have located the extra holes drilled in the frame vertically near the end of the front battery tray that I read can be used as a battery stop so to speak when your running 6s.  I also figured out which crosspiece at the lower back side would fit there.  Can that just simply be moved to the other location or are guys ordering another piece to put there? It looks that there at least has to be a cross bar at that location bc that's where the tail boom supports connect right?   

Well thats about it for now, stay tuned!

flyalan

Re: First time build log
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 02:02:56 PM »
Chad,

Sounds like you are enjoying the build ;D  You are gonna love flying it even more!

Yes you will need to order another cross brace to use for the boom support.  If you are running 6s then I would move the back brace forward like you intended.  That will give you a nice space behind it to locate your ESC or Receiver pack.

Cheers

Alan

Offline chad289

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 05:32:19 PM »
Wha... wha.. wha.......

I should have stuck with my normal phylosophy of "buy the good stuff now".   As it turned out I did a small math error when I was compairing the Turnigy motor to the Scorpion. The turnigy shaft is about 8mm shorter than the Scorpion's so the shaft doent extent past the pinion and as a result wont seat inside the lower bearing. 

Now off to find a Scorpion 4025-1100....

flyalan

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 06:16:20 PM »
We all live and learn ....

Cheers
Alan

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Offline Jon Mills

• Field Representative
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 06:46:11 PM »
Awesome post Chad! :) I have a few things to share that may be useful some day.  If the tip of your 2.5mm hex tip starts to round take a little bit off the tip with a dremel or bench grinder and it will be good as new. If your looking for a motor and want to save money buy it used off of the helifreak or RcRunryder. I have never had a bad experience buying used (not to say it can't happen) for the most part honest people like the rest of us just trying to get a return on something they don't need anymore.

On the servos, are you using the rubber and the metal grommets? I have used the same servos and don't recall having an issue with the thickness.

Offline chad289

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 09:18:11 PM »
Actually I didn't use the rubber grommets.  I didn't see them in the diagram so I assumed (we all know what that does) that they weren't being used to increase the stiffness of the mount.  But not that you mention it that certainly would solve the problem.  I ended up putting a small washer in there to take up the space and they tightened right up.  I should go back and use the grommets instead, after all the manufacturer puts them in there for a reason.

Thanks for the info. I've got a couple PM's out on helifreak.com for some motors that were posted, if I don't hear back soon Ill prob just get ahanks for the info.

Just on update on the work I got done.  As I mentioned I was able to solve the servo issue so I got the two halves together and the skids installed.  Swashplate was taken care of and I got the gears and one-way bearing stripped down, cleaned up, lubed and reassembled. (it was even the correct way the first time)  The main shaft is all together on the airframe.  Everything meshed up great until i realized the aforementioned issue with the shaft of the motor being too short.  So I pulled that and am going to start working from the tail forward now while I wait for a new motor.  If I don't count the time I spend wasting dealing with the motor issue I had about an hour and a half into the build today. 

Offline Jon Mills

• Field Representative
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 09:50:01 PM »
Yes the rubber is crucial for isolating the servo from the vibrations it may encounter being directly attached to the frame. These vibrations will cause premature failure of the servo. I noticed you haven't mentioned thread locker but I am assuming your are in fact using it.  I know the manual more than mentions it. 

Sounds like you have a good handle on all of it!  I am excited for you based on the fact that many of us choose other brands prior to Synergy and most of us had to experience many headaches.  Synergy in my opinion can't be beat as far as simplicity, quality, reliability, and of course support.  Keep us updated.

Offline dpelletier

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 10:38:31 PM »
Not sure how crucial the rubber grommets are on an electric. You're not having to deal with the vibrations of a glow or gas engine.
I do not use them.
Dany -  Not on any Team  :( maybe some day :)
Synergy E5 CGY-750 (my favorite heli)
Furion 6 Flybarless, Skookum 720
Beam E4(v1) FBL, Skookum 540
Futaba 14sg

Inching my way out of being a newbie...

Offline chad289

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 10:58:58 PM »
Oh yes, I've been using lock-tite as per the manual. Ive also been stripping all the parts down cleaning with denatured alcohol, letting dry, applying lock-tite and re assembling.

After my last post I got all the servos remounted (with the rubber grommets) and assembled all the servo horns.  For a total of about an other hour worth of work.  Then I couldn't help it, I had to break out some of the electronics and see how it would all fit in there.  I didn't mount anything mind you  I just had to set it in to see it.  Net thing you know I had the canopy on and blades in the grips just to see the how she was going to look 8)

Thats it for tonight. 

Thanks again for the tips and help.

Offline Jon Mills

• Field Representative
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2014, 03:20:30 AM »
Not sure how crucial the rubber grommets are on an electric. You're not having to deal with the vibrations of a glow or gas engine.
I do not use them.

To each their own but its good solid advice to use the parts that are designed and included with an item.

Offline copenhagen

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2014, 09:00:29 AM »
I didn't use grommets on my E5 for the first 50 or so flights.  I only installed them because I saw them in pictures of mjburberry's machine.

flyalan

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2014, 06:20:37 PM »
I do not use them.
To each their own but its good solid advice to use the parts that are designed and included with an item.

Well not necessarily.... The parts that are included with most servos are there to cover all possible installations and applications.  This does not mean they need to be used in all circumstances. Does anyone use wood screws in heli's?  They almost always come with the servo. 

I have done electrics both ways.  I have found the advantage to grommets is more apparent in a crash on an electric.  A little give could save your servo. 

Cheers

Alan
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 06:29:34 PM by flyalan »

Offline chad289

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2014, 08:26:35 PM »
Ok question timeā€¦.. On page 40 of the manual it show the tail pitch slider assembly and says to CA or epoxy the lock ring.  Which is simple enough.  But it also says to red lock tire the tail to slider to the tail pitch plate.  How do I go about removing the lock ring to do that? Or do I just get some squeezed in there best i can while its assembled?  Any time Ive tried to remove a lock ring like this before Ive always damaged it. 

Offline chad289

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2014, 10:29:01 PM »
Also,  did i read correctly there is one spare ball link included in the kit?  fi so what is it with because I can't find it.  I was sizing the ball for the tail slider and it cracked in half  :-[  Not sure how it happened I was using the synergy ball link pliers to snap in on the botos sizing tool and it just cracked, i even had the adjustment screw all the way out because I was in no hurry and didn't want to over size it. 

Offline matt_c_25

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2014, 07:08:08 AM »
there is a small bag of spare screws and washers the spare link should be in this bag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk