May 17, 2024, 03:03:50 AM

Author Topic: Alternate landing Gear  (Read 6098 times)

Offline RandyK

Alternate landing Gear
« on: April 01, 2015, 09:28:21 PM »
Has anyone come up with an alternate landing gear set that is a bit stronger, doesn't sag, and is a bit higher. These stock gear just really don't cut it. I have already put spacers in to raise the ship but it would be nice to have factory set that does not sag.

Thanks in advance

Offline steffgiguere

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
Re: Alternate landing Gear
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 07:13:34 AM »
What exactly do you mean by sagging? I've had the same set of landing gear for over a year on my E7 and the vertical fin still doesn't touch the ground.
Team Synergy, Canada

Offline RandyK

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 09:49:49 PM »
Thats very interesting, This is a brand new ship which I just completed awaiting good weather to fly. The vertical fin just barely clears the work bench by 1/2" inch. I wonder if the material was slightly changed during the mold process ?

Offline Rodney Kirstine

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2015, 08:47:39 AM »
Which model is it?  N7 maybe?
Rodney

Team Synergy

Offline RandyK

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 09:38:53 AM »
Yes its the N7

Offline Mike Spano

• Synergy Hero
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 11:51:44 AM »
i have heard a few guys say this, but my helis have never had an issue. i think it may be temperature related. where do you live? i live in AL, and my skids dont sag until i crash them! lol
Team Synergy
Rail Blades
TRM Power
Team Byron Fuels
MKS Servos

Offline Rodney Kirstine

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2015, 02:39:48 PM »
I just sanded a bit off of the end of my tail fin until it didn't touch the ground when on a hard surface.  I don't mind having mine a little long because it works out better when taking off and landing on grass, that way.
Rodney

Team Synergy

Offline steffgiguere

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2015, 07:44:08 PM »
You are right the N7's fin does stand closer to the ground than the other Synergy helis. I know a few guys who shimmed the rear landing gear. I have not maybe because the landing pads at my field are very flat.
Team Synergy, Canada

flyalan

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2015, 08:22:02 PM »
I have never had any issues with the landing gear "sagging".  Can you post a pic of what your landing gear looks like sitting on the bench.

Cheers

Alan

Offline RandyK

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2015, 09:12:58 PM »
Thanks for the all feedback, Well after all the feed back what I finally decided to do is shim the frame up a bit, and I used a heat gun to bend the gear in a bit. I least now I have about 1 1/2" clearance. If this doesn't provide me with a reliable fix, Ill guess I take the suggestion of shaving down the fin just a bit.

Offline Mike Dipalo

• Field Representative
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2015, 07:18:01 PM »
My N7 does it to.

The problem likely comes in due to the heavier storage weight of the N7 compared to an E7. The N7's AUW is lighter than an E7, but I'm willing to bet no one here stores their heli with a full 12s sitting in it. It doesn't help the N7 tail sits lower.

To deal, you can take a few zip ties or something similar to compress the rear struts during storage. For day to day usage, the struts should sit higher. You'll see gasser guys do this in order to deal with the heavy airframes squatting during storage.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 12:16:14 AM by Commodore8888 »
"You need more rockets. Everything is better with rawkets"
Commodore8888
Rockville, MD

Offline RandyK

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2015, 08:26:43 PM »
 Hey  Commodore8888, thats a good point. I have already started using Velcro after I heated the gear a bit to keep them in place

Offline Rob Cherry

• Factory Pilot
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2015, 09:25:51 AM »
The N7 doesn't actually sag any more than the other models. Rather the boom in the design is lower because the transmission is flipped upside down which relocates the tail closer to the ground. The model doesn't have a forward rake in the design so the landing gear "unsprung" weight will put the tail fin at or near ground level in respect to the plane of the landing gear.

8)
Synergy Factory Pilot

Offline Josh Moen

• Factory Pilot
  • If it's not broke, try harder?
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2015, 08:22:33 PM »
I echo Rob's comment and if my memory serves me the N7 fin is also a few mm longer than the others. They are different part numbers.
Thanks,

JM

Team Synergy Factory Pilot
Team Futaba
Team Scorpion

Offline Matt Botos

• Synergy Hero
    • Matt Botos
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2015, 09:03:06 PM »
20mm longer which is to keep the tail blades out of the grass.  8)

Matt