May 12, 2024, 03:43:22 AM

Author Topic: Clutch Liner (replacement)  (Read 4619 times)

Offline Guiwee

Clutch Liner (replacement)
« on: April 02, 2015, 01:09:51 AM »
What is the best method and adhesive to use guys?

Offline Mark Dean

• Field Representative
Re: Clutch Liner (replacement)
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 05:52:02 AM »
Obviously the best method is subjective and most have their own way. Easiest for me:
1. Wrap the clutch with two layers of electrical tape. Later, when you put the clutch bell with the new liner over the clutch, this will set the proper gap.
2. Remove the old liner from the bell with a sharp hobby knife and scuff the surface with some fine sandpaper. Clean the surface with alcohol.
3. Test fit the new liner in the bell to get proper alignment and fit. You may need to cut the liner to get it in there with no overlap.
4.Epoxy the liner in with 30 min epoxy or slow cure JB weld. Slide the clutch bell over the clutch and let the epoxy cure.

Mark
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 05:54:32 AM by Deanmarkj »
Team Synergy Field Representative, Rail Blades, Scorpion Power Systems

Offline Rodney Kirstine

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 09:42:28 AM »
Here's a pretty good write-up that has some pretty pictures, too, if you're more of a visual person like me.  :D

http://synergyrchelicopters.com/forum/index.php?topic=2417.msg24032#msg24032
Rodney

Team Synergy

Offline Cliff Chmiel

• Synergy Veteran
  • Cliff
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2015, 12:00:54 AM »
I have always use jb weld
Cliff

flyalan

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 08:04:14 AM »
JB weld also...

Offline Mike Spano

• Synergy Hero
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 11:50:30 AM »
i have used both jb weld and epoxy, both seem to work great, the epoxy is easier to clean off when it needs to be replaced.

i also use the tape on the clutch method, but i plan on trying the PVC pipe method next go around. the tape will sometimes push down with the pressure of the bell going on the shoe and leave a high place that takes a while to break in.
Team Synergy
Rail Blades
TRM Power
Team Byron Fuels
MKS Servos

Offline Guiwee

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2015, 08:46:34 PM »
Ok thanks will try and see how it goes.....On a gloomier note I did more damage to the N5 than I thought. upon head disassembly I notice my main shaft bearings are notchy..ordered replacements but how do I get those out??

flyalan

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2015, 09:00:16 PM »
A press works well. Remove the block from the N5c of course. Also putting the bearing block in the freezer will sometimes allow the bearing to easily be removed. Alternatively heating just the bearing block again may be enough.

Cheers
Alan

Offline Guiwee

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2015, 11:25:19 PM »
Thanks success!!

Offline John Jackson

• Field Representative
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2015, 12:12:59 AM »
Good thing you caught that bad bearing. Main shaft vibes can really make for fbl tuning nightmares

Offline Guiwee

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2015, 08:55:29 AM »
well when I noticed my jesus bolt was completely sheared off. Id figure Id better check the whole head!! that's when I noticed the notchy bearings. main shafts not bent but Im replacing anyway.This crash is turning out to be pretty expensive already at $150 not counting blades.You pay to play!!!

flyalan

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2015, 04:56:02 PM »
well when I noticed my jesus bolt was completely sheared off. Id figure Id better check the whole head!! that's when I noticed the notchy bearings. main shafts not bent but Im replacing anyway.This crash is turning out to be pretty expensive already at $150 not counting blades.You pay to play!!!

Oh yeah!  I have done worse  ;D
Cheers

Alan