May 03, 2024, 04:55:16 PM

Author Topic: rcproplus connectors  (Read 1340 times)

Offline woodscra

rcproplus connectors
« on: January 10, 2020, 06:07:31 PM »
I have used EC5 for a long time.  Not starting any debates, just asking a few questions before I try them out.  I am considering the X5 for 6S batts.

I like that they are individual plugs and therefore the resistance to separate is half of an EC5, in theory.  But, I have heard these are not easy to separate.  Truth?

Do most of you use them in a configuration which allows you to use all connectors but also opens you up to connecting + to - accidentally?

Any other hints or "good to know" before I consider buy a few would be appreciated.

Thanks for sharing.

Offline M.Schmavs

Re: rcproplus connectors
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 10:26:04 PM »
So, when I used these strictly for 6S, I soldered them to make connecting + and - impossible. I changed things up after going 12S and talking with Wolf on here, haha. Now I can connect them backwards - Just gotta pay attention, however, the battery orientation lines up on both models so I'm not crossing wires anyway.

I responded to your PM but wanted to post here too for others - The difficulty to separate is adjustable. You can take the male bullet ends and open or close them to make it as hard or easy as you want. I squeezed mine together ever so slightly to make them ever so easier to separate.

It's still reasonable out of the box. I've had connectors I wish to never have to separate again, these are definitely not them.

Offline woodscra

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2020, 11:51:41 AM »
You are using X5 or X6?  I have not come across a batt yet with 8awg wire.

Offline M.Schmavs

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2020, 01:33:59 PM »
I use the X5's. My batteries have 10ga wire which will fit both the X5 and X6.

Offline Wolf51

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2020, 09:26:51 PM »
I use rcproplus S6 connectors on all my heli packs, thats for synergy 516, E5s, 696. All connectors arranged for series pack use whether for 6S or 12S power system.
These are my reasons:

6mm for extra current handling capacity, less chance of overheating or desoldering.

S6 for connections intended for single or series pack setup. They come with colour coded inserts that will remind you which plugs go together in a series setup. Not foolproof but it helps.

With the same connectors installed I can swap packs between all my helis seamlessly.

Also only need one type of connecting lead for my charging system to cover everything.

Yes they can be tight to disconnect, but I've not had any that were unreasonably so.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline woodscra

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2020, 08:57:11 AM »
Thanks for sharing. Good info.

Now how to decide between the X and S models?
I see the S color tabs.  How difficult are those tabs to remove?

The X looks triangular vs S is diamond.  Benefit to either for connecting/disconnection?  One give more surface area?

X uses screws, how easy are they to install?  Hold up after many connections?

Offline Wolf51

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2020, 03:30:52 PM »

The X looks triangular vs S is diamond.  Benefit to either for connecting/disconnection?  One give more surface area?

The coloured inserts on the S series are in two parts that clip together into the main housing. Thats what locks the housing over the connector. The inserts can be removed without damage by carefully inserting a tool edge (eg. fine screwdriver point) where they clip together.

The external covers only shield the brass connectors, they don't add to the connection strength.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline M.Schmavs

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2020, 07:53:42 PM »

With X experience only, I don't think the shape is of consequence either way. Just a design and maybe aesthetic preference.

The screws are finicky to install the first time as you are tapping them through the plastic. After that, the removal and installation is fairly easy. I would not recommend tightening one screw down before the rest, rather, install them progressively in sequence. Also, keep the plastic cap seated while tightening.

I wouldn't worry about holding up on either style.

I chose the 5 simply because it meets the power requirements for the 516. It's at the peak for the 696 but I'll never get it there, haha. I've never pulled 60A out of the 516 and everything stays nice and cool even after back to back flights. Alas, I'm not doing 3D!

I don't think you'll go wrong with either.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 07:56:04 PM by M.Schmavs »