Other Manufacturer > General Heli Support

Motor shaft wear?

(1/2) > >>

Barry Tilson:
Is this wear normal? The bearing seems
smooth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

curmudgeon:
Maybe some oil got into the pinion support bearing, and the motor shaft is spinning inside the inner race of the bearing?

RichL:
+1 johnahamelv, this would be my initial thought as well.  The other possibility is that the bearing has been replaced.  By of the looks of your pinion someone obviously got thread lock on the main shaft and inside the pinion and at some point and used pliers to remove it (or tried to remove it).  If thread lock ran down onto or into the bearing this could have caused the wear (brown ring).  Your pinion also needs to be replaced with the newer hardened version.  The silver areas on the teeth of the pinion mean that the coating protecting the pinion has worn away and the aluminum pinion will wear rapidly causing rough spots on your main gear from this point forward. Depending on the main gear wear and your tolerance to gear noise you may also need to replace the main gear.  Hope this helps.

Rich

Barry Tilson:
Inspecting this motor and noticed that the pinion slipped over to the edge of the flat.
Should the area where the screw touches be deeper or is this fine?

Chris Sexton:
That is a good flat spot. Maybe it wasn't tightened up and had slipped under load. Maybe the previous owner (you did get this used right? Sorry if I have that wrong) flew it before the loctite set.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version