May 15, 2024, 01:52:59 PM

Author Topic: Which HERCULES bEC  (Read 2291 times)

Offline JVZ

« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 11:57:51 PM by JVZ »

Offline steffgiguere

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
Re: Which HERCULES bEC
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 07:15:44 AM »
I usually use the last one...
Team Synergy, Canada

Offline seldred

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 11:18:36 AM »
Use the Hercules Super BEC.

Offline Justin Pucci

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 12:01:14 AM »
JVZ,

The Super BEC (the last one you have) is the typical way to do things, however, I prefer to use the Super Mini instead. See the link below:

http://www.western-robotics.com/hercules-super-mini_hp.html

This is a 6S BEC, which does two things for you...

1. It saves you money, weight, and space over the 12S Super regular version.
2. It forces you to wire it into one side only of your series Y-harness.

The first point is an obvious benefit without need for further explanation. ;) The second point is for safety and convenience ...

By wiring your system this way, you are able to plug only one of your two series 5S or 6S batteries into the side of the Y-harness where the BEC resides, thus powering only your receiver, FBL, and associated electronics. This allows you to do programming on the bench without the ESC being powered. Furthermore, take her out to the flight station with only the flight control electronics powered up and then plug in the second battery to power the ESC once you're ready to fly.

Please keep in mind that this only works if you're running a split-battery setup. If you're using one of the 10S packs like (I believe) Thunder Power offers, which gives you a fully-wired 10S output, then you'll be forced to plug into only one connector at the ESC and, as a result, will need the non-mini version (12S) Super BEC.

Let me know if you have any questions and good luck with your setup! :)

Cheers,
-->J

Offline JVZ

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 08:04:24 PM »
Which ports do the 2 Super BEC wires plug into on Mini Vbar?

Offline stevehof

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 10:37:18 PM »
any open port except RXA, which is signal only. If you don't have any open ports, you will have to use properly configured Y connectors.

Offline JVZ

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 10:42:53 PM »
So connect the Hur Super BEC into a Spectrum Y-wire and plug it into RXC since RXB is for the ESC?

Offline stevehof

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 10:18:34 AM »
If you want to use both BEC output wires and you have no separate receiver to put one in, use two Y connectors. You can use the Y connectors in any port other than RXA. Personally, on a big ship, I'd want to use both BEC output wires.

Offline JVZ

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 05:47:23 PM »
Justin,

Can I also wire the super bec the same way (in the series Y adapter) you explained the super mini. Thus only powering the electronics and not powering the esc.

I think I have cahged my mind on running a one 10s stick pack and will be using two 5s packs instead.

Offline JVZ

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 12:31:11 AM »
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 01:28:44 AM by JVZ »

Offline Justin Pucci

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2012, 11:04:07 AM »
JVZ,

I apologize for the delayed response...  :-[

You can indeed run the Super BEC in the same manner as I described with the mini... i.e. connected to only one side of your Y-harness to the ESC. This will still allow you to power the electronics separately from the ESC. All you need to do is to solder the red lead of the BEC into the (+) side of one of the Y-connectors and then solder the black lead of the BEC into the (-) side of the same connector.

I specify plus and minus instead of red and black on the Y-connector because you may use different wire colors, etc so just follow the convention of the connector gendering. For example, EC5's will tell you what + and - is assuming that you've soldered and built the connector correctly. See below:

E|------Red BEC and red ESC------=|------(+++)------ | Battery#1 red wire goes here and powers electronics only
S|                           Black BEC only=|------(- - -)-------- | Battery#1 black wire goes here and powers electronics only
C|                                                 |
  |                                               | This is the Y-jumper
  |                                               | This is the Y-jumper
E|                                                 |
S|                                                   =|------(+++)------ | Battery#2 red wire goes here
C|------Black ESC only-------------=|------(- - -)-------- |Battery#2 black wire goes here

Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck! :)

Cheers,
-->J
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 11:06:41 AM by Justin Pucci »