May 05, 2024, 03:07:38 AM

Author Topic: Help a new guy out with CGY programming?  (Read 1279 times)

Offline M.Schmavs

Help a new guy out with CGY programming?
« on: September 11, 2019, 08:18:21 PM »
So, this is my first flybarless experience and I'm running into an issue with programming. I don't know exactly how much NOT to program in the TX and leave to the flybarless controller. It's a new CGY760R - I can't find much info on it like the 750 so I assume it's pretty new to the market.

Anyway, I programmed my entire setup in the CGY and found that my collective and cyclic curves are "uneven" so-to-speak. No trim, no sub trim, no pitch curves, etc., etc. are set in the transmitter. Literally everything is in the CGY.

I think my problem is if I get 20 degrees positive collective, I'm seeing 15 degrees negative. If I get 10 degrees cyclic right, I get 8 degrees cyclic left, etc..

The only thing I'm confident with is the mechanical setup. Pitch links, servo links/geometry, swash level, etc., everything is good there. I have experience with flybared models and had no issues setting those up.

SO, is this something I should and can correct in the transmitter without interfering with the CGY settings?
OR should I not worry about it because I'm just overthinking?

Offline alan

• Team Helilids
Re: Help a new guy out with CGY programming?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2019, 02:54:32 PM »
Which helicopter? Are the swash links setup exactly the length in the manual? Horns are at exactly 90 degrees to the links?
Are you checking cyclic throw in the swash setup menu. That’s the only place you would be able to do this accurately.
Sorry if these seem like rhetorical questions but they must be asked.

Just finished my 696 setup on the CGY and pitch throws were within 2 tenths. Cyclic throws as well.

Cheers
Alan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Team Helilids RC

Offline alan

• Team Helilids
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2019, 02:56:28 PM »
And do turn that collective down to 12 degrees and see what the numbers look like. At 20 you are at the end of the throw and those could very well be off a bit.
Alan

Team Helilids RC

Offline M.Schmavs

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2019, 07:32:19 PM »
Model is the 516. No worries about the questions, I would ask the same!

To answer, yes, I measured each link with calipers to dead accuracy before installation. Very tedious.
Horns are 90 with some help with sub-trim a.k.a.: "neutral" in the CGY
Swash plate is level
With that said, during setup, while measuring and leveling, I did make some minor adjustments so they are not at those exact points anymore.

I'm checking cyclic throw with a digital pitch gauge. Didn't know checking in the setup menu was an option... Can you elaborate on that?

Also, I agree turning down the collective pitch is a must. I was holding off until I figured out why there was a difference... kind of assumed the difference would remain no matter where the stick was.

Taking your advice, I'm going to focus more on the mechanical side even though I was confident I had that part nailed down. My radio had a calibration issue during setup so even more adjustments were made after that was resolved.

Starting over (just to be sure) might be my best bet. I'll report back with the results.

Thank You!

Offline alan

• Team Helilids
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2019, 09:12:20 PM »
While in the SWH basic menu (3rd screen) you want to check pitch and cyclic rates. Most importantly cyclic rate. You won’t get accurate cyclic rate measurements unless you are in this menu. Of course this is the menu where you adjust the rates.
Just fired up sitting on the bench you would likely not see cyclic rates left and right be the same and the measurements don’t mean much as the gyro will be active.
Cheers
Alan

Team Helilids RC

Offline M.Schmavs

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2019, 07:56:18 AM »
Gotcha! I was setting the gyro to F3C when taking measurements as it seemed less active in that mode. Makes sense to measure it while adjusting but unfortunately, I was still getting an uneven reading when initially setting it.

Hoping to have this sorted out this weekend.

Offline M.Schmavs

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2019, 04:27:34 PM »
Sooo - I set all my links back to the stock spec. Rechecked 90 at the servos and set full positive collective to 12 degrees in the CGY. I didn't bother checking swash plate level.

So with positive collective set to 12 degrees, I'm seeing 5 degrees at center and -1 at full negative. I didn't even check cyclic after seeing this.

I'm officially stumped. The only thing I can think of is to physically lower the servos and let them actually rest on the lower screws. The screws are centered in the mounting holes currently.

If I can lower them enough to account for 5 degrees, I think collective would be within 1 degree.

Any input before I do this?

Offline alan

• Team Helilids
Help a new guy out with CGY programming?
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2019, 04:41:58 PM »
Level your swash before proceeding. Then just shorten the pitch links to get zero pitch at center stick.  Then check positive and negative. But set zero first. What servos?
Cheers
Alan

« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 04:43:52 PM by Alan »
Team Helilids RC

Offline M.Schmavs

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2019, 04:52:30 PM »
You are awesome. Thanks for the quick reply - Although, I admit I just lowered the servos. It only yielded 2 degrees. After resetting the pitch to 12 degrees, I see 3 at center and now 5.5 at negative.

Servos are the HV9767's. I looked at some other peoples setups and it looked like thats how some were mounting them, so I just dove in.

I will go ahead and level the swash. Do you think, maybe, I should shorten the servo links instead of the pitch links to bring it to zero? It seems the swash plate is too high giving me the uneven throw... just thinking out loud.

Offline alan

• Team Helilids
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2019, 05:03:26 PM »
Ok. Are you setting zero pitch first? You need to do that before anything else. I run 9767’s.
I know then swash links are per the manual.  Leave those alone. I sent you a PM as well.
Cheers
Alan

Team Helilids RC

Offline M.Schmavs

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2019, 05:19:03 PM »
PM replied!

To clarify, if center stick is currently at 3 degrees, are you saying to adjust the pitch links to get it to zero?

Also, if leveling is needed at the swash, I should do that at the links, correct?

Offline M.Schmavs

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2019, 06:09:14 PM »
SOLVED! Something tells me I was doing things out of order mechanically and within the CGY.

After leveling the swash, I zero'd it out with the pitch links and then messed with the CGY. Everything is equal!

Thank You Sooo Much! You definitely saved me a lot of headache down the road. I was ready to "cheat" in the radio. Thank you for talking me out of it!

Offline M.Schmavs

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2019, 10:50:01 PM »
Just wanted to make one last update to this thread. The 516 went down today after an abrupt lack of pitch. Thankfully it was only a hard-ish landing. 13th flight! (yes, I'm a dork and keep a log)

Turns out my initial radio calibration issue is reoccurring. I now believe this was the main issue with setup.
I've turned the transmitter on and off for the past few hours. The map shows the stick on point or not or slowly bouncing around.

When the radio map bounces, the servos bounce too... Which was the cause of the grounding today.

I have a message to the manufacturer for repair.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 10:57:23 PM by M.Schmavs »