May 11, 2024, 05:42:41 AM

Author Topic: Smoked clutch  (Read 1533 times)

Offline Azimm

Smoked clutch
« on: July 23, 2012, 05:32:05 PM »
I crashed my new N5C a few days agao, I did hit throttle hold, but by the time I was able to get to the heli, the the motor had revved up a few %... I could smell the clutch and saw black dust everywhere.... Do I need to buy a new clutch bell and clutch? or just a new clutch....
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 09:06:13 PM by Azimm »

Offline Brandon Bartolomucci

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
Re: Smoked my clutch on crash do I need new clutch bell?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 06:57:54 PM »
You will most likely need a new clutch liner and clutch but not necessarily a clutch bell. Check it over for any cracks or splits. You may not even need a new clutch itself but I would replace it to be safe. I would definitely say you need a liner though. Those are consumable items anyway and burning them in is usually a quick way to their demise.
Regards,
Brandon Bartolomucci
Team Synergy; Scorpion; & Bavarian Demon

Offline Azimm

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 07:02:23 PM »
Well I started the motor after the crash and clutch is def smoked... it doesn't grab at all...

I have never replaced a liner

Offline Brandon Bartolomucci

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
Smoked my clutch on crash do I need new clutch bell?
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 08:26:21 PM »
There are lots of good posts and videos online in replacing one. The main thing is getting the old one out and making sure the clutch bell is clean clean clean before installing a new one. Someone else will need to chime in here but I believe there's an acetone or other chemical that you can soak the existing liner in over night that will allow easier removal.

Then you grab the new one and fit it in the bell and trim any excess of the ends that meet if needed. Grab yourself some epoxy (opinions vary on what to use) and put it in the bell. Be sure to wipe ANY excess epoxy that seeps out between the liner and bell.

While the liner epoxy is still wet, you wrap the new clutch in a single layer of masking or electrical tape and insert it into the bell that has the liner to keep proper spacing and alignment of the liner. Let it sit over night again. The next day you should be able to install.

Can someone else please chime in as to the best method to remove the old liner and a good epoxy to adhere the new one?

Regards,
Brandon Bartolomucci
Sent from my iPhone
Regards,
Brandon Bartolomucci
Team Synergy; Scorpion; & Bavarian Demon

Offline Kehno

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 03:59:52 AM »
Can someone else please chime in as to the best method to remove the old liner and a good epoxy to adhere the new one?
Well, i do not know about the best method, but i've heated clutch bell a little bit and then with hobby knife pried liner away. I am quite sure liner might be nicely heated already during reving so it might drop out quite easily with hobby knife. :)
I have used 5 min epoxy with these without any problems. Of course i have waited for a day for glue to dry.