May 08, 2024, 11:44:05 AM

Author Topic: N 7 backlash  (Read 1823 times)

Offline STYKZ

N 7 backlash
« on: March 23, 2014, 09:53:53 AM »
Hi guys
If I hold the auto gear I have a bit of backlash in the head,is this normal I don't want to over tighten the bolt.
I have checked this on other models and they have no play.

Offline Mike King

• Field Representative
  • Viva la nitro!
Re: N 7 backlash
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 12:11:22 PM »
Have you tightened up the pinch bolts?
Mike King
Field Representative

Offline Rachel

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 10:05:24 AM »
it could be in the lower Jesus bolt , through the auto gear , but there is a warning here about over tightening that bolt.
I have the same play in my N7 at this point.
Not much help sorry , but hopefully its ok to use like this .
here you go direct from the boss  :)

Offline Matt Botos
Team Synergy
Synergy Hero

View Profile  Matt Botos  Email  Personal Message (Offline)

Jesus Bolt Tightening Tip - IMPORTANT!
« on: January 26, 2014, 11:05:58 PM »
Hey Guys and Gals,

There have been a few instances of jesus bolts breaking so I just want to give you a few tips regarding this assembly topic.

In the manual notes it states this bolt should not be over tightened. I am going to edit the instruction and state that it should not be tightened at all. The nylock nut should be screwed in to the point where it closes the gap and nothing more. If tension is placed on this bolt it could break! I personally have never had one of these bolts break on my N7 or my E7SE and the E7SE has twice the amount of power. This includes bailing out of auto rotations with both models.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Matt

Offline Jon Mills

• Field Representative
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 08:50:39 PM »
If there is play between the collar and the bearing block use the main shaft shims included with the kit. If there is play between the auto hub and the sleeve, make sure you have both Delrin shims installed.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 02:47:27 PM by ChapaWolf »

Offline mdu6

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 08:45:26 AM »
If there is play between the collar and the bearing block use the main shaft shims included with the kit. If there is play between the auto hub and the sleeve, make sure you have both Delrin shims installed.

These shims (if needed) reduce the vertical play that can be present between the different components on the main shaft. They do not reduce the backlash between the head and the spur gear hub.

One thing to do - use a longer shouldered bolt then the M3x20 special Jesus bolt provided (will require to cut to the desired length).  The shoulder on the provided bolt is just short of catching the other side of the Jesus bolt collar. Using a longer bolt reduces the backlash - but doest not eliminate it completely.

There are probably other options to remove it completely but would be a lot more work ...

Mario

Offline Steviepoo

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 09:08:57 AM »
Does a little bit of backlash even matter? Mine seems to be just fine so far, I haven't had any problems with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Synergy E5s: SK540, Ice2 80HV, Quantum 4125-560, Rail 606/96
Synergy E7: VBAR, HeliJive 120, Pyro 700-45, Rail 716/116
Synergy N7: VBAR, OS105HZ-R, Rail 696/106
Citizen #112

Offline Jon Mills

• Field Representative
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 11:15:08 PM »
Mario thank you for the correction. I may have hastily posted something not even relevant to the thread previously. For that I apologize. 

flyalan

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2014, 12:25:50 AM »
I little backlash is fine and normal. Mario ' s suggestion would minimize this and also prevent the possibility of over tightening as Rachel mentioned.

To date have not seen the need though. I just never over tighten the Jesus bolt.

Cheers
Alan

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 12:28:28 AM by flyalan »

Offline david harlan

• Field Representative
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2014, 01:15:19 PM »
i have developed a little bit of backlash in the head,i can tell,its coming from the spur gear,it has play in it,head removed,i hold the tail gear tight and feel the spur gear ,theres the play,the little pin notch seems to be the culprit,has anyone else noticed this,thans dave
n5,n5c,n7,2xn9

Offline Steviepoo

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2014, 03:02:37 PM »
i have developed a little bit of backlash in the head,i can tell,its coming from the spur gear,it has play in it,head removed,i hold the tail gear tight and feel the spur gear ,theres the play,the little pin notch seems to be the culprit,has anyone else noticed this,thans dave

Yeah. The spur gear and pin on my N7 has quite a bit more play than my E5. I filled mine with epoxy to tighten it up. It didn't remove all the backlash and to be honest I don't see any difference in flight.

As Matt mentioned, in flight the gear train is constantly loaded in one direction, making a bit of backlash in the system irrelevant. 
Synergy E5s: SK540, Ice2 80HV, Quantum 4125-560, Rail 606/96
Synergy E7: VBAR, HeliJive 120, Pyro 700-45, Rail 716/116
Synergy N7: VBAR, OS105HZ-R, Rail 696/106
Citizen #112