May 04, 2024, 02:46:00 AM

Author Topic: The best tools  (Read 4672 times)

Offline Greg Jackson

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
    • inner3.com
The best tools
« on: December 17, 2012, 02:19:38 AM »
I had to work on my 300x and while trying to remove one of my hex drivers the very end tip snapped inside the nut.  Time to replace my KDS tool set.  What do you guys recommend?  Just seeing if there is an alternative to the 150 dollar JR set of tools.  But at the same time I'd rather have quality over all.  Any other ideas please let me know.
Synergy & Rail Field Representative
Team Scorpion||Team BK Servos||Team Pulse|

www.inner3.com

Offline RichL

• Synergy Veteran
Re: The best tools
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 02:46:00 AM »
The JR hex drivers are nice so are the nut drivers.  The tool kit you are looking at has some things in it you won't be able to use such as the ball link pliers (too small for 5.5 mm balls unless you regrind them).  Maverick hex drivers are of good quality, Whia tools good quality.  FBL Rotors tools good quality.  See the tools and supplies list here: http://synergyrchelicopters.com/forum/index.php?topic=1195.0

Rich
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 03:54:42 AM by RichL »
Synergy E5: Scorpion HKIII 4025-1100, CC ICE2 120HV, Rail 556/96, V-Bar Silverline

Synergy E7: Quantum 4530-500, CC ICE2 160HV, Rail 716/116, V-Bar Silverline

Offline Greg Jackson

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
    • inner3.com
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 03:01:58 PM »
Great! I have my hobby shop looking for some tools too. He mentioned some tools from Germany that are supposed to be very strong and nice.

www.inner3.com

Offline Jean-Luc Bolduc

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Veteran
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 09:22:34 PM »
Thorpe drivers are the best I've used.
Team Synergy

Offline RichL

• Synergy Veteran
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 09:23:52 PM »
Thorpe drivers are the best I've used.

+1 they are very nice.

Rich
Synergy E5: Scorpion HKIII 4025-1100, CC ICE2 120HV, Rail 556/96, V-Bar Silverline

Offline Greg Jackson

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
    • inner3.com
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 01:19:16 AM »
I had a Thorpe for my trex 250, but do they have all the sizes needed for this build?

www.inner3.com

Offline RichL

• Synergy Veteran
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 02:13:26 AM »
I had a Thorpe for my trex 250, but do they have all the sizes needed for this build?

I'm not sure can't find much on them.  The few I found were $12 - $15 each. Ouch!

I don't think you were on the wrong track to start with the JR tools, if I lead you to believe otherwise I apologize.  I have been using mine for a number of years and never had a problem.  They are backed with a three warranty.  If you don't want to spend $150 on the whole set just pick up the metric hex set and nut driver set.  Together they will cost you about $75.  You have already ordered ball link pliers you can pick up the other tools just about anywhere. On the other hand the full JR set has everything and the $150 is not unreasonable for what you're getting ( $6.25 per tool and a very nice free case) .  The couple items you are not going to use on the E5 such as the piston locking tool, ball sizing tool and ball link pliers may be need later for a different project.  If you already have another heli the only thing unused will be the piston locking tool (assuming it not nitro powered). Sorry if I contributed to the confusion. Hope this helps!  :)

Rich
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 02:27:36 AM by RichL »

Offline colcha

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 06:16:44 AM »
Generally speaking, the smaller the hex size, the more critical it is to use a quality hex driver otherwise you run the risk of stripping the screw head. I am fussy with my drivers and have tried the following:

Wiha - the small, smooth handle makes it difficult to hold and generate torque. The tip is not bad but not great either.

Align - decent value for money but the tips are not as precise as I would like.

HK Turnigy - better than expected for this price point. Similar to Align in quality.

EDS - I have only used one of their power tool allen tips but was very pleased with their quality. Many RC car guys recommend these as the best value driver.

MIP Thorp - Very popular with heli crowd. Excellent handle and the tips are very precise. Disadvantages are that tips are not user replaceable and the handles are not clealy marked with the driver size. In metric, they are only available from 0.9mm to 3.0mm.

Hudy - Very popular with RC car crowd. These drivers scream quality. Tips are user replaceable. IMHO, they are just as good as MIP Thorp if not slightly better. Unfortunately, they are very pricey. In metric, they are available from 1.5mm upwards.

In summary, if you are on budget but still want quality tools, have a close look at the EDS drivers. If you want the highest quality tools, then both MIP Thorp and Hudy fit this bill. Hope this helps.

Offline Greg Jackson

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
    • inner3.com
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 01:22:40 PM »
My hobby shop can get the set for a lot less so he is ordering that for me.  He also said that its a lot of tools for that price, and they are really nice tools so I'm going with that.  anyone know if they are hardened?

www.inner3.com

Offline RichL

• Synergy Veteran
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2012, 04:33:20 PM »
My hobby shop can get the set for a lot less so he is ordering that for me.  He also said that its a lot of tools for that price, and they are really nice tools so I'm going with that.  anyone know if they are hardened?

The set I have are hardened.

Offline Greg Jackson

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
    • inner3.com
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2012, 06:08:04 PM »
Good just making sure.  Only thing I have left to find is a Boto sizer.  Think I saw one at Ready heli.  What exactly is that for anyways?  As in, how do you use it?

www.inner3.com

Offline Kevin Dalrymple

• Field Representative
The best tools
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2012, 06:33:02 PM »
It will be the last ball link sizing tool you will ever need. It is to adjust the links to the ball size. It comes with 3 different sizes to fit most of the helis on the market today. The big one is for the Synergy line. It is a great tool.
Synergy Field Rep
Rail Blades Field Rep

Offline RichL

• Synergy Veteran
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2012, 11:05:04 PM »
It will be the last ball link sizing tool you will ever need. It is to adjust the links to the ball size. It comes with 3 different sizes to fit most of the helis on the market today. The big one is for the Synergy line. It is a great tool.

+1 and, Boto Sizer is a must have for Synergy ball links.

Offline Greg Jackson

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
    • inner3.com
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2012, 11:23:04 PM »
Very cool.  I will order it next week.  A lot of stuff I don't want to order until a couple of days before I return.  WOuld hate to have stuff sitting at the door or post office. 

www.inner3.com

Offline RyanW

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2012, 08:40:48 AM »
I have literally had almost every single hex driver made for the r/c industry. When doing r/c cars I had the high dollar Trinity set (not the little set of hex drivers, but the $350 complete SAE & Metric set).

I will say bang for the buck, the OFNA set isn't bad. If you want the best, I would go with the MIP/Thorp hex drivers (NOT with the handles). Sure, they are about $15 each, but you only need four of them. Then get a nice Integy or some other hex handle that works on all of them. I also have a small ratcheting handle for them (OFNA) as well as three different electric powered drivers (Dremel, small Dewalt and Metabo). So all in all I have the set of MIP Hex bits that I can use with a electric driver if I am disassembling after a crash, with a ratchet for quick changes and with a solid manual handle for precise tightening.

MIP Hex Bits: http://miponline.com/store/MIP_Thorp_power_tool_driver_best_precision_hex_insert_bit.html

OFNA Ratchet (scroll down page): http://www.ofna.com/tool-sets.html

INTEGY Handle (the bits with this set are crap, but I like the handle): http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXBRLF&P=7

EXCELLENT low speed driver: http://www.dremeleurope.com/za/en/ocs/product/7355/345/dremel%C2%AE-driver%E2%84%A2/dremel%C2%AE-driver%E2%84%A2/
-Ryan