May 05, 2024, 10:07:58 AM

Author Topic: What brand hex drivers do you use?  (Read 8631 times)

Offline KevinM

Re: What brand hex drivers do you use?
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2013, 10:17:18 AM »
I just got a 2.0mm and 2.5mm Hudy Limited Edition drivers.  I tore down the E7 getting it ready for repair and I tend to be slightly heavy handed when assembling and the screws were no match for the Hudy's! A fair review would be they're extremely light weight. So much so that you would think their cheap feeling and becuz I tighened screws just a tad tighter than needed the shaft of the tool did flex very slightly.  But they have a great length which was my complaint with the Dynamite drivers (although these work fantastic!) but I may revisit this link if I should have any troubles with the Hudy's to let you guys know....PRICEY is another thing... but I'd say 90% of the time in this hobby you get what you pay for.

Dynamites---true story, I'm helping a new guy that bought a T700n that was thoroughly abused and the person who put it together used gorilla hands to tighten screws.  I actually broke inside the handle a 2.5mm dynamite driver and had red marks under the the first layer of skin in my hand in the shape of the handle that lasted a week or more!  The thing that shocks me the most is that I can't believe the screw didnt strip first. I should have heated the screw instead but hind site right? Not discounting the Dynamites, very rugged little tools but being inexpensive I hand these out at the field if someone needs to borrow one and the Hudy stay home! :)

Offline Rodney Kirstine

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2013, 11:22:20 AM »
+1 on the Dynamite drivers, I really like mine.  I just ordered a replacement tip for one of mine (broke it while using it as a punch) and the replacement tips are very reasonably priced. 

BTW, heat does soften up loctite if you ever run into some that seems excessively tight.
Rodney

Team Synergy

Offline Brandon Bartolomucci

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
What brand hex drivers do you use?
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2013, 03:06:38 PM »
Well after reading everything I was convinced and replaced all that I could with MIP Thorp drivers. For just over 100 bucks I have the full set and man I didn't realize what I was missing. Great tools.

Regards,
Brandon Bartolomucci
Sent from my iPhone
Regards,
Brandon Bartolomucci
Team Synergy; Scorpion; & Bavarian Demon

Offline dpelletier

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2013, 11:53:58 PM »
Well after reading everything I was convinced and replaced all that I could with MIP Thorp drivers. For just over 100 bucks I have the full set and man I didn't realize what I was missing. Great tools.

What entails a "full set"?
Dany -  Not on any Team  :( maybe some day :)
Synergy E5 CGY-750 (my favorite heli)
Furion 6 Flybarless, Skookum 720
Beam E4(v1) FBL, Skookum 540
Futaba 14sg

Inching my way out of being a newbie...

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2013, 04:25:34 AM »
I went to Tower Hobbies and added every version of one piece yellow handled MIP drivers I could find to my cart after filtering down by tools then name. There's 3 imperial sizes and the rest are metric.

I did not add or look at the ones that seem to be "interchangeable" tipped. I compared what Tower had on their website with what MIP had on their direct website and it appears Tower carried all that were made.

Regards,
Brandon Bartolomucci
Sent from my iPhone
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 04:27:18 AM by Brandon Bartolomucci »
Regards,
Brandon Bartolomucci

Offline KevinM

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2013, 02:01:31 PM »
MIP if I understand correctly doesnt have replaceable tips...you have to send them back to have them re-tipped.  But, having hardened steel tools makes all the difference! Congrats on your purchase!

Offline Rodney Kirstine

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2013, 04:09:19 PM »
I just ordered a set of these because I wanted some longer ones with ball ends:

http://www2.northerntool.com/hand-tools/hex-tools/item-2512714.htm

Our field service techs have been using these for a while, now, and I used some last week when I had to do a major upgrade to a piece of equipment here at work.  Some of the screw heads that were a bit rounded, and my other wrenches wouldn't get them out, these drivers took them out with no problem.  The tech I was working with said he used to go through a set of the Bondhus wrenches about every two months said he's had a set of these Titans for over 6 months now and they haven't rounded at all.  You cannot find a full set for $20 that will beat these.

Rodney

Team Synergy

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2013, 08:37:03 PM »
The MIP ones don't have replaceable tips per say but rather have the tips that go in the speed wrench and that is what I did NOT get. I got the standard yellow handled series.

Regards,
Brandon Bartolomucci
Sent from my iPhone
Regards,
Brandon Bartolomucci

Offline KevinM

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2013, 07:17:33 AM »
Yes, those are the ones that you have to send back to get retipped.  But again,  they are certainly and notably the best out there! :)  It was a toss up between Hudy and MIP for me. So even though the Hudy were a bit more pricey they have replacement tips I can order.  My thought when deciding was how long is the turn around time on the MIP to be retipped...so I figured I'd give Hudy a chance. If they work cool, if not I'll be going MIP for sure!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 07:19:29 AM by KevinM »

Offline John

• Field Representative
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2013, 11:05:30 AM »
MIP's all the way, love them things.

Offline Greg Jackson

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
    • inner3.com
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2013, 12:19:36 PM »
I like the MIP, but got the JR set (with the case) and they have been fantastic so far for a half a year.
Synergy & Rail Field Representative
Team Scorpion||Team BK Servos||Team Pulse|

www.inner3.com

Offline Drew Robinson

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2013, 10:13:32 PM »
++++++ mip all day
**Team Synergy**Team Scorpion**

Offline RyanW

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2013, 10:40:18 PM »
Inner- glad you are having good luck with the JR. Watch the tips. The black paint or what ever they put on there chips off and they round off and/or break pretty easy as well. I thought it was just the pre-production sets I saw, but two friends of mine are experiencing the same thing with production sets.
-Ryan

Offline Greg Jackson

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
    • inner3.com
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2013, 02:09:49 AM »
The only tips I had break off were the screwdrivers Phillips and the other.  But I have a nice Kobalt set to use instead of those.  7 months and still going strong. 
Synergy & Rail Field Representative
Team Scorpion||Team BK Servos||Team Pulse|

www.inner3.com