May 10, 2024, 06:24:18 AM

Author Topic: pin on the tail output shuft gear came off  (Read 3783 times)

Offline copenhagen

Re: pin on the tail output shuft gear came off
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2013, 12:31:14 PM »

Just because the manual doesn't tell you to loktite an item doesn't mean it should not be loktited.  For the most part every screws, bolt, link, etc that is metal to metal and not in a pinch clamp of some soft needs to be loktite.  That knowledge is assumed.

Alan- what do you do when you have metal in plastic?  When I started heli's, (also my 1st foray into RC), I used loctite to hold stuff onto the plactic frame of my 130X.  BIG MISTAKE.  Frame cracked everywhere loctite touched.  You live and learn.  I now use a dab of super-glue for metal into plastic.

Offline Erutsyn

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2013, 12:33:26 PM »
yes I see that. but wher does pin goes and where does the set scrue.

Offline Mark Burberry

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Veteran
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2013, 12:46:44 PM »
The pin goes through the gear on the tail shaft. The set screw then gets screwed into the end of the tail shaft... Opposite the tail blades side... With Loktite to secure the set screw against the pin.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 12:51:38 PM by MJBurberry »

flyalan

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2013, 12:49:02 PM »
Loktite the set screw not the pin.  The set screw keeps the pin in place.

As far as metal into plastic.... Nothing needed.

Cheers
Alan

Offline Erutsyn

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2013, 12:50:05 PM »
I am sorry but I still do not see wher do i put the pin and where do I put the set scru . what do I put into the gear holes .

Offline Darren Lee

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Veteran
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2013, 12:58:05 PM »
Here's a view from the E7 TT conversion manual showing it more clearly.  The pin goes thru the hole in the gear and the set screw goes in the shaft, pressing against the pin to keep it from falling out.
Team Synergy / Rail Blades / Morgan Fuel

Offline Erutsyn

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2013, 01:44:35 AM »
Thank you guys . I understand now.

Offline Barry Tilson

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Veteran
  • Perspective Visuals
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2014, 06:13:05 PM »
Not to dredge up an old topic but this one is an easy one to miss. Flew the E7SE after a complete rebuild this weekend from a crash at IRCHA. I think I need to come up with a checklist for final assembly checks prior to flight. So I got about six flights on the E7 this weekend before noticing a vibration in the tail. Upon landing I noticed the tail belvel with the gear retaining pin hanging out. I had forgotten to loctite the set screw. Luckily for me I caught it just in time.
Coming from the aviation maintenance industry I believe coming up with a checklist for final assembly before maiden flight would be very nice? Anybody use one of these?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Perspective Visuals

Offline Airbass

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2014, 11:51:34 PM »
I always keep the assembly instruction open on the table. It helps to remind the sequence and the remarks from Matt if any

Offline awesomeOne

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2014, 02:04:53 AM »
I think that's a great idea. I've had multiple close call and a couple of incidents in my eagerness to get back in the air.

I do recall seeing such a list on Helifreak a year or so ago. I should revisit and search. Either way I think a genetic list of checks would be great, then add to that some model/manufacturer specific checks..