May 02, 2024, 11:57:42 PM

Author Topic: 696 Servo Mistake!  (Read 1126 times)

Offline M.Schmavs

696 Servo Mistake!
« on: December 30, 2019, 08:21:07 PM »
Through my own excitement and lack of research I purchased the X8 MKS servos not realizing they have the 8mm output shaft.

With that said, I still really wanted to use the carbon servo arms and went for it. I eyed up the geometry before modifying the MKS arms and it didn't look too bad... After the install however, I may have an issue.

I am wondering if the geometry between the servo arm linkage is too far off in relation to the swashplate. Will it cause any trouble being this way? Should I just cut my losses and get some different arms?

I also thought about reversing the balls to the other side of the arm. They'll still be offset but maybe that side is better if they're going to be off.. ? I don't know.

I hope the photo doesn't come out sideways but hopefully it will help.

Offline Jay Fitts

• Field Representative
Re: 696 Servo Mistake!
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2019, 07:53:42 AM »
Woah those arms are huge.
The cf arm should be on the inside of the servo arm. Any chance you can drill out the center bore to fit the mks arms? That should fix the geometry.

Offline M.Schmavs

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2019, 10:51:11 AM »
I know! They're monstrous! Even if I buy new plastic ones, they'll be too thick for the ball threads to get through.

Putting the arms on the backside was my first idea but if I drill the center out, it will get into the screw holes. Bummer.

So, I take it I need to do something and shouldn't fly with this geometry?

Looking at the options I found, MKS has carbon arms I could probably make work but it'll be some $$$ They also have aluminum arms with 18mm and 21mm spacing. Stock is 20mm and I prefer plastic... Still searching.

Ugh... what a disaster. I'm open to any suggestions that don't require so much money and fabrication!

Offline M.Schmavs

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2019, 07:22:36 PM »
Figured it out! I thought about it all day and it wasn't until after a glass of wine it hit me!

I can just use a standard servo wheel as a spacer and turn the balls around backwards. Close to perfect. All I need are longer screws. I'm off to the shop to clean the MKS wheels up and make it look more presentable.

Happy New Year, Everyone!

EDIT: Cleaned up photos attached.

EDIT EDIT: They only have about 2mm clearance for the canopy. Back to square one.

EDIT EDIT EDIT: I spaced the rear canopy mounts and it gives enough clearance. What a journey. Do yourself a favor and stick to 6mm outputs. Wish I researched a little longer.

EDIT #4: Servo spacers would also be an option now that I know that's a thing!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 01:02:49 AM by M.Schmavs »

Offline Jay Fitts

• Field Representative
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2020, 09:45:49 AM »
Glad you got it sorted, looks like the geometry is very good now!