May 17, 2024, 04:52:36 PM

Author Topic: 12S Battery Health  (Read 1302 times)

Offline M.Schmavs

12S Battery Health
« on: December 28, 2019, 06:26:22 PM »
Sooo, I'm linking my 516 batteries in series for the 696.

Just wondering if I need to be consistent about which connections are jumped and which are going to the ESC. Is it best to keep them the same every time, best to rotate or does it matter at all? I just want to make sure I'm keeping my cells happy.

Under instruction, I kept my old 2 battery 10S setup the same but I also jumped them at the ESC. I won't be doing that this time as I'm really digging the single plugs.

In the photo, I have it sort of mocked up how it will be. The front battery negative lead will be jumped to the rear positive and an extension is coming from the rear negative. The rear neg and front pos will be going to the ESC.

So do I need to connect everything the same for every flight?

Offline Wolf51

Re: 12S Battery Health
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2019, 06:51:36 PM »
I use rcproplus S6 connectors on my packs and also swap packs between 516 and 696.

The only reason I can think of to alternate your cable arrangement would be if you're concerned about wear on connectors caused by arcing/spark when making the final connection. Not a problem if your ESC has a sparkproof circuit and you could also argue that its better to limit sparking to the same pair of connectors.
Don't think I'd lose much sleep over it either way.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 08:17:55 PM by Wolf51 »

Offline M.Schmavs

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2019, 07:38:43 PM »
Don't think I'd lose much sleep over it either way.

I like this answer!

After I thought about it some more, I'll probably have to connect them the same every time anyway unless I make multiple adapters for each combination... which. just. Sounds like a waste of time.

Offline Wolf51

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2019, 08:15:46 PM »
You can avoid adapters altogether using rcproplus supra X pro series connectors arranged as per their video. It works equally on 6S and 12S pack arrangements, esc and charging equipment. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KpPLwGfCe7U

Very simple and clean arrangement.
 Caveat being you can accidentally  connect + to - on the same pack which is BAD! But pay attention and its all smiles.

Offline M.Schmavs

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2019, 08:31:24 PM »
Awesome. With my X5's, I already soldered them like the vid shows so I would just have to swap a couple ends. BUT I did assemble everything purposely so I (or anyone else) couldn't short out the battery. I'll think about it... I have more connectors arriving Monday.

I would still need an extension to run from the rear battery up to the ESC, right?

Do you have a pic of your 12S setup?

Offline Wolf51

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2019, 09:09:06 PM »

I would still need an extension to run from the rear battery up to the ESC, right?

Do you have a pic of your 12S setup?

Do I have pictures?  I do now, lol

I came up with the battery arrangement for myself, others may use it but I've not seen any. Done this way manages front/rear pack leads, no cables bunching in canopy and no extensions required for the rear pack in my experience.
The pics show top, side and bottom views, plus series connected, then mounted in 696.
I use a similar arrangement with custom battery trays in my E5s.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 09:21:01 PM by Wolf51 »

Offline M.Schmavs

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2019, 09:59:08 PM »
So Cool! It didn't even occur to me to face the battery wires at each other. I like how everything remains equal length. While you were taking photos, I made a mock (but functional) adapter.

My ESC is mounted so the battery wires are on top but seems your idea will still work. I did a mock up just for fun. That's what I like about these connectors... the possibilities are endless.

I'll mull it over until the other connectors arrive. Much to think about!

Offline M.Schmavs

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2019, 10:50:44 PM »
After playing around some more, I think I figured it out.

My battery isn't as clean as yours so I came up with a combo of ideas. I'm leaning towards swapping the connectors so no adapters are necessary and also routing one wire out the frame and one out the front with both batteries facing forward so-to-speak.

Thanks to you, It's the cleanest for my setup I think!

Offline Wolf51

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2019, 10:52:59 PM »
Sounds like a plan.

Offline M.Schmavs

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2019, 09:14:49 PM »
Whelp, I went ahead with your idea. Thanks for the tip!

Offline Wolf51

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2019, 12:24:06 AM »
You're welcome, I hope it works for you.