May 16, 2024, 08:01:40 AM

Author Topic: Fuel Jugs and Cleaning fluids...  (Read 2159 times)

Offline Carzan

Fuel Jugs and Cleaning fluids...
« on: August 13, 2014, 08:38:46 PM »
Hi all!!!!

What is everybody using to fuel your nitro helis these days? Are there any new cool setups I should know about?

And what do you use to clean off your bird after a day of flying?

Thanks for responses in advance!

Hope is not a strategy!

Offline curmudgeon

• Synergy Veteran
Re: Fuel Jugs and Cleaning fluids...
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 09:07:56 PM »
I don't know about nitro, but I wipe my electrics with an antistatic cloth sprayed about 70:30 with denatured alcohol and Windex.  It gets the bugs off the main blades and canopy, the chlorophyll off the tail blades, and the dirt off the skids.

Offline Carzan

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 09:34:59 PM »
I don't know about nitro, but I wipe my electrics with an antistatic cloth sprayed about 70:30 with denatured alcohol and Windex.  It gets the bugs off the main blades and canopy, the chlorophyll off the tail blades, and the dirt off the skids.

No problems with any of your electronics I presume?
Hope is not a strategy!

Offline curmudgeon

• Synergy Veteran
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 10:27:25 PM »
The electronics don't normally get dirty or oily on electric helis, so I don't have a need to wipe the electronics clean.  If I need to clean the electronics after after a crash, I would just use the denatured alcohol without the Windex.  I also spray onto the cloth, not directly onto the heli's.

Offline Chris Wall

• Field Representative
    • WallsWorld
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 11:08:32 PM »
As far as fuel jugs, I just use a Slimline SL2000 Fuel Pump on top of the nitro bottles.  I have been very happy with that setup.  I do know several guys at my local field that swear by the products from Jersey Modeler.  They have several different sized jugs with attached pumps.
Synergy Field Representative / Team Scorpion / Team FBL Rotors
www.fortbendhelis.com

Offline Rodney Kirstine

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 09:21:22 AM »
If you were wanting to go the build your own route, McMaster-Carr carries several different sized plastic jugs that would be suitable for glow fuel.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#carboys/=t9yt7r
Rodney

Team Synergy

Offline Mike Spano

• Synergy Hero
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 09:42:20 AM »
keep it simple and spend your money on parts, helis, and quality electronics man. just buy a hand pump from your local hobby shop, and the kit to put the fittings in the top of the jug. use the top from your first gallon of nitro and then just swap it to the next as you burn it up.....much cheaper and works perfectly.
Team Synergy
Rail Blades
TRM Power
Team Byron Fuels
MKS Servos

Offline Kevin Dalrymple

• Field Representative
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 06:02:43 PM »
Slim line 2000 with a 3s lipo for me. Works great since 2006.

I just use rubbing alcohol for clean up. Put it in a squirt bottle and you are good to go. 
Synergy Field Rep
Rail Blades Field Rep

Offline Roger

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 09:51:22 PM »
I use Sparkle glass cleaner to keep my N7 "Sparkling Clean".  It cuts the residual oil and grass stains nicely. 

ROG
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 09:54:26 PM by whitehedr »
ROG
Retired Old Guy

Offline Mike Dipalo

• Field Representative
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2014, 08:36:29 AM »
Buddy of mine picked up the Jersey modeler. It's a really nice setup, but the price is commensurate to it's quality.

Rodney's suggestion of building your own is possibly a bit better in the long run. Let's you setup the system to your own specs if you have the time to spend vs. money for the JM jug.

Nitro cleaning, that same friend and I just use denatured alcohol cut with water in a spray bottle. Works great for cutting cooking grease when using a portable grill at events as well.

The electric gets cleaned during spring more than I'd like. Pollen goes mad in VA and everything gets coated with that sandpaper.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 08:40:15 AM by Commodore8888 »
"You need more rockets. Everything is better with rawkets"
Commodore8888
Rockville, MD

Offline Carzan

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2014, 10:51:58 AM »
   Thanks for all the responses guys!!! Man I can remember the old Synergy Board, Probably 07 to 08 ish, you could make a post and wait literally a week or two for a response! It really is great to see how far Matt has taken Synergy!

Back on topic of fuel jugs, I have ordered a couple of jerry cans that should fit in my bag perfectly. We will see. The jugs themselves are very little money so if i don't like the way it seems to be heading with the jug in the bag thing, Ill just get a jersey modeler. I found a 1.6gal jug. I think that will be more than enough fuel for me for almost any day. The only reason I can see that I wouldn't like this set-up is that it will leave my starter out of the system as a loose carry item. When we flew before I ended up using an align starter. And yes I started our 90's with it no problems. It worked as a loos item because it had a carry box of its own. I am going back to a dynatron with the finer edge battery mod this time so if I end up with a 1.05 I KNOW I can turn it over with my starter. So I don't know how I will like lugging around a loose dynatron. With the extension on it that is substantial piece of equipment both in size and weight to just have loose in your back seat.

I realize I am rambling. Just thinking out loud I guess. I am really wanting to do this in a way that keeps flying as simple as possible. Especially since my motivation to fly now days is just me. I no longer have a 12 to 14year old to keep me company and get everything ready for. If it's not simple I won't keep it up.

Anyway, THANK YOU for all the valuable discussion on such a bland topic guys!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 11:12:42 AM by Carzan »
Hope is not a strategy!

Offline Rodney Kirstine

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Hero
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2014, 11:20:18 AM »
None of this stuff is bland to us!  :D
Rodney

Team Synergy